Regular UE4 or Oculus fork

Hello. I am using UE4. I’m developing a stand-alone app for Meta Quest 2. I want to publish it on the Oculus store. The oculus documentation says that to develop the application I need to use the Oculus-VR fork of UE4 and then compile a customized version of Unreal Engine myself.

Share your experience. Do I really need to use a custom version of the unreal engine4?
Or can I use epic’s regular version?

Hi DigitalBug,

You do not need to use the Oculus fork to publish on the Oculus store. (Source: I’ve released 2 products on AppLab using UE 4.26 from launcher(With the default OculusVR plugin))

The biggest pain-point for me was the Oculus Store requires that your app not have certain android permissions. (That get enabled/packaged by default) These permissions should get automatically detected when you upload your .apk to Oculus, so my advice here is to upload your project early to give yourself plenty of time to troubleshoot.

Thanks for sharing experience!

Hello Astrotonic,
How did you manage the issues with android permissions?

Hi @GonGlory. Welcome to the Forums!

It has been over a year, so it’s a bit fuzzy - but I do specifically remember these twovideos being instrumental in removing the permissions.

1 Like