Reflections going through object.

Hm, your problem is different than the one that is originaly in this thread or?

@NasteX - It is the same problem like at the beginning of this thread. When i look straight at the reflection under my window then it looks fine. But when i tilt up, down, left or right, then it is like SSR is disable.

This shouldn’t happen with planar reflection capture. Can you post some screenshots?

@NasteX - here are some screenshots of my “Reflections going through object” problem.

With the planar reflection the reflection gets bright and “milky” by the wall. It depends of the roughness value of the material.

I attached two pdf files with the screenshots - ReflectionProblem.pdf ReflectionCaptures.pdf

Yes, as I suspected the problem is the size of the sphere reflection captures. When part of the capture expands beyond the wall you will see the “reflection” from outside being projected inside. I fight this problem by placing a smaller captures that covers only the problematic areas.

Now its a bit different with planar reflection capture though, when you use it you dont need to use the sphere reflection captures on walls or floors, but only on places where its needed to have reflections. For example the legs of the chairs are metalic and they need reflections so I add a reflection capture to only cover the table and chairs if you get what I mean. :slight_smile:

@NasteX - Thanks a lot for your help! How can I create good looking matte wooden floor material with soft reflections? With planar reflection i get like a perfect mirror reflection of my floor, and when I increase the roughness value of my floor material then i get this weird looking reflection change when I tilt the camera

Can you make a screencapture? I just dont know what you mean, sorry.

@NasteX - Here WoodMaterialReflection.pdf (1.37 MB) is a screenshot of my material and the problem when I tilt the camera / look up or down.

Oh, I understand, SSR (Screen space reflections) are based on camera view frustum aka the screen size camera is looking at. So basically when you look down the “sky” or even the reflection capture goes out of screen, which for SSR means that there is nothing there and as a result of that you lose reflections.

My solution to that was to make the SSR 50% (you can work with this) in intensity and work with the reflection/planar capture intensity instead, so you get some kind of mixed reflections from both SSR and reflections from the captures.
Edit: Also make sure that the sphere reflections captures doesnt extend too much through the walls, because they will capture everything that is on the other side too.

@NasteX - How can I my reflection of my wooden floor more soft with planar reflection?

With the roughness of the material.

@NasteX - Thanks, I will try that.

@NasteX- Hello, my reflection problem is still not solved. I want to have a soft blurry reflection on my wooden floor. Planar reflection does not solve this problem because I can not get soft blurry reflections with it. SSR causes reflection problem at the edge of the screen. Maybe it is possible to modify the ScreenSpaceRayCast.ush code so that Unreal captures not only what is seen on screen but a bit more to solve the edge reflection problem. SSR causes edge blending and that does not look very realistic. It could be this line of code that causes edge blending:
float2 Vignette = saturate( abs( ScreenPos ) * 5 - 4 );

Its a bit weird that planar reflections doesnt work for you tbh. You also have to remember that real-time rendering have very big limitations that offline rendereres doesn have. You must always think out of the box and decide on workarounds.

If you want, you can create a video showcasing your problem, I just cannot understand how planar reflections doesnt work for you.

For the project, are you thinking using VR or such? If performance is not a issue, you could try the raytraced reflections. But yet, I suspect that your workflow with the sphere reflection captures and planar captures is wrong. You have to show us more, even it will be best that you make a simple level that showcase your problem and send it to me.

Edit: Just remembered that SSR have console commands for quality - r.SSR.Quality = 4 (4 being the top quality).

You can indeed modify it to wrap reflection coordinates instead of clamping them.

Do you know what the code would be to get the best results / more realistic look around the edge? Is there a solution without changing the code to get better reflection on a soft blurry wooden floor?

@Unreal_ArchViz I mean I use my free time to give you solutions but you dont follow them well… So asking other peoples to help you will get you the same results. Just make a video and show us your problem. We can only speculate all the time of the world in this thread. Everything I have written in the post #29 is the solution, if it didnt work so you are doing something wrong, or your expectations are not in any way realistic for a real-time engine.

@NasteX - I followed all your instructions. But the problem here is that SSR fades in and out at the edge of my walls, then light comes through. If I use planar reflection, then this problem is solved and i get a perfect shiny reflecting floor. But I don’t want that, I need a wooden floor with soft and blurry reflections. Changing the roughness of my material does not help with planar reflections. In another thread someone is also searching how to get soft blurry reflections using planar reflection. Thanks really for your help but this does not solve my problem with my floor material.

I do indeed, but most important here, why would you rely so much on SSR in arch viz ? If you have a really noticeable difference between SSR and cubemap reflections, it firstly points at likelihood of wrong reflection environment setup. Why do you need plannar reflection at all ? What stops you from using reflection captures ?

Alright, I just tested this, I have no problems with making the planar reflections to be blurry. I have the feeling that you forgot to uncheck the “Show preview plane” and this being the reason you dont see the roughness of the material doing any visual changes. Check my screenshot below for reference. :slight_smile: