Reflection Captures not working on translucent materials.

Everything in the scene was well within 2000 units from the sphere actor.

For me, the reflections immediately disappeared the moment I edited the sphere actor’s radius, and I could not get them back, even by resetting the radius, clicking the “update captures” button, and rebuilding the lighting.

I’m also using Unreal version 4.3.1.

Hey Hoeloe -

OK I think I have solved your problem. Based on your other question (AO), I want to ask if you are using Lightmass or only non precomputed lights? If you are not then you will not get any reflections in your translucent objects. If you are let me know.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

I am only using non-precomputed lights, but switching to using lightmass does not change the outcome. The new project I switched to (when my reflections vanished after altering the sphere actor) was using lightmass.

Hey Hoeloe -

Lets Try this test out:

Create a new Blank Project with Starter Content included in the 4.3.1 version of the Engine.

Download this test.zip file. from Dropbox

Unzip the test.umap file to the new project’s Content\Map folder.

Unzip the M_Glass.uasset to the new project’s Content folder (just the content folder and not a sub-directory).

Open the Project and Open the Test.umap level.

Take a screenshot and post below.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

I did this, and it all seemed to work correctly. I’m not sure what I broke with my current project, but I have done a lot of tweaking to the lighting and such. My scene requires me to force no precomputed lighting, though, so it seems I’ll be sticking with scene capture actors for translucent reflections (though of course I’ll try to cut those down if I can).

Hey Hoeloe -

Reflections from the Sphere reflection actors do require Indirect Lighting so if you are forced to use no precomputed lighting it would be expected that you would not get reflections from the Reflection captures. It sound like you have a decent work around for it. For performance reasons I might try to see if your scene can be constructed in a way to use precomputed lightmass though.

Good Luck -

Eric Ketchum

I did try it with lightmass as well, but that didn’t help. I have had trouble getting indirect lighting to work, though, which may be why the problem is occurring. I’ve switched on the dynamic GI system, though it seems to do nothing. The readon I can’t use lightmass is that tue scene is heavily illumination dependent, and while it’s fine at top quality settings, it produces oddly bright scenes with lower settings, which completely break the scene.