Red Alert 2 remake for VR

I’ve also wanted to see a VR RTS/god game since getting my Vive. I started a dungeonkeeper type game in the same idea space, but I’m nowhere near as advanced as yours.

One idea that I did with my game tho, was when I rotated the left controller 90degrees inward (top facing me), it became a second menu, in my case for switching between level/building and interacting with the ai pawns. It was an easy way to quickly switch between two menus without having to fumble and hit a button. Just an idea to help further your project! Cant wait to play an RTS in vr.

And it comes full circle. Here’s an article about this thread: EA Struck Down The 'Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 VR' Fan Remake

EA killed off those good series and now even wont let users to make free remake, someone from country where EA cannot reach should re-make it again.

I feel sorry for the shutdown. this was the thing I was exited for. Red Alert have been for many years one of my favorite games. I hate to say it. but if you can’t beat them. Join them. This needs to come out! This can save the RTS and CnC.

There are many modder groups of different RTS games out there who probably would let you use their assets. In case of my RTS project I do the same, but if their work is not organized well, it can be hard to distinguish what is their own work and what is from the original game, so it helps a lot if you know the game well…

It could be amazing when you send your well prepared troops to battle with a single gesture, I have a strong I-want-to-make-it feeling! :slight_smile:

Man EA seems dumb to be why not just offer you a deal to release it for them commercially after a review to ensure its not malicious in anyway. Seems like bad business sense would explain a lot of other terrible decisions too I guess.

they are said to be planning to release a new command and conquer game in near future, so if it is true making a contract for this VR version won’t happen soon…

https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2017-07-11-is-a-new-command-conquer-game-in-development-at-ea

I don’t think EA have the chops to deliver a new C&C game, to be honest.

you will have to call it yellow alert and rename tiberium to thiberium

I am afraid that won’t work, but thank you for the suggestion :slight_smile:

I think they can deliver a new C&C game anytime they want. They have all the resources to do that. It is just matter of will and some time.

It’s been a year since I’ve released that DEMO video, and got no interest from them. I don’t think they care about it at all :smiley:

, were you planning to release it as an free mod / open source project?

Couldn’t you have released all the code you wrote and all the freely available dependencies such as OpenRA and Unreal Engine binaries, and have players themselves use the tings you released with their legit copy of Red Alert 2 and other dependencies that are not freely available?

That way you would not be infringing on any EA property or any IP at all.

This is how most engine re-implementations work. Even OpenRA is just code that then downloads freeware assets.

I’m pretty certain this used neither OpenRA, nor any assets from Red Alert 2.

While it used some 3D building models that Sly_Fox made, it still used sounds and pictures (in construction menu), which I am quite sure are also considered “assets”.

Regarding OpenRA, this is what wrote in the video description:

Very sexy!!!

EA screws with mobile games, Blizzard doesn’t hear to the community so whats on. Lets make better games and spread them for free so that ****** companies who don’t hear to the community are punished by ruining their cashflow. For me it is stupid to ask them I have just released it unnamed or as a github project with hint to download the compyrighted files from the original cd or something else. There is a Pokemon MMo out there they have only the client to download, the rom’s from the gameboy that are copyrighted are not included and must be added by hand. So please do something about this because many nice projects get abandoned because some snorty money ****ers! We the community have make Command and Conquer big so in my eyes the copyright is not in EA’s hand on these days its a community wide thing because if no one have bougt it it never got these famous. In my eyes we need a rework of the copyrights because this is not the perfect solution for anybody.