Recruiting [Community Project] Random: A Blueprints Only Multiplayer Game by Metahusk

Oh, and if you want compatibility with the recent engine you may want to clone it instead of using v0.1.0 - I will add a zip of UE4.10 release when I get a chance. The most recent commit offers UE4.10 compatibility. You will need Visual Studio 2015 for that engine version to work. Also, remember to unzip the plugins as it says in the readme. The plugins are required for it to work.

Anything i can do while im not working on my own game?

Guys Great game i Played for 4 hr no bugs but need more servers so i can play will people

Right now we have the project on hiatus, but there is a lot of work to do. The methods used to talk to the CouchDB database are crude. There needs to be some sort of error correction / retry write to db method. We might end up programming custom BP nodes.

Also, the project is being forked into a more story oriented project called Spectral Rift. The webpage and story are under internal development. (The author is working on writing a short story of sorts.) But the framework for Random will be the same for each project.

Most of what I’m working on is a project for Iowa State University. (Until March 2016) On the repository it is titled potato. Our working title is Trial of Might. It’s a 2.5D game kind of like smash brothers but with one weapon.

Thanks for liking the project! We have a server on our linux VPS but we take it down a lot as it consumes ~400MB of RAM. (Out of 2GB)

There is a lot that can be worked on if you are interested! What skills or background do you have? An easy thing do work on right now are rooms for the room generation system. If you open up the room BP’s you can see how they work. Here is a simple room creation tutorial I wrote - http://projects.metahusk.com/projects/random/wiki/Room_Creation_Tutorial

Anything you want to help with is appreciated! I’m hoping to get it more complete in the future so it becomes a more free community developed game.

We worked really hard on removing bugs. There shouldn’t be very many! (Haha, that’s actually quite hard to do…)

I can fire the server up in a few days when I get time. (I will have to rebuild the linux version of the project so the version numbers match, which takes a while)

I have a university test tomorrow, but I’ll work on it after that. I’ll probably keep it live for a while and see if people are checking it out.

The linux server is online running Playtest4 if anyone wants to check the game out. I will post when it is offline.

Edit: Also, the vps is set to reboot when memory consumption becomes too high due to other resources running on the same host. (namely repository browsers) I’ve experienced some memory leaks on some software I’m running on the linux machine. (But it is not related to Random or UE4. They seem to be pretty stable.)

Wow, Idk how I missed this nice little project. I came here by a recommendation of a friend, while I was happy to find something I can recommend to others, rather than the uncompleted projects/tutorials. But unfortunately after downloading the project and going quickly through the docs and plugins, I got that you basing the cloud storage on Parse. And parse was jsut announced to be shut down within a year…or less.

So now need to think about something else, so we end up with a full suitable project that could work in the future :slight_smile:

And anything I can help with, let me know, you’r doing interesting job here guys :wink:

Cheers,
-m

Parse is only used for the server browser system right now. It was built before Epic’s system went live.

For user accounts and credits we use CouchDB. http://db.metahusk.com I’m working on replacing the parse.com server browser. We will likely be either using onlinesubsystem or CouchDB for match making. I’m still in the research phase for that. We use Parse time stamps to decide what servers are “live” and CouchDB does not have time stamps like parse.

I have a json time fetch on our server that responds with the time - http://time.metahusk.com/ Which then we could use to fetch the time and decide what servers are live. I was planning on removing parse. We only used parse before our CouchDB implementation was online. Basically, for our server browser a server updates its stats on a time interval. If it gets “out of date” then the server doesn’t show up on the server list. This also allows me to watch how many people launch a server as it makes an entry. :smiley: (A crude system to monitor the interest in the project.)

What kind of a project are you working on?

Thanks for checking it out!

Also, I’ve been waiting for this awesome plugin by mordentral before I implement a new server browser - Advanced Sessions Plugin! Advanced Sessions Plugin - Community Content, Tools and Tutorials - Unreal Engine Forums

It’s pretty slick. I will probably use it, especially seeing someone got the linux dedicated sever to work. (Which is something I require) We will see.

Yea, I’ve been experimenting @mordentral plugin, it looks pretty straightforward :slight_smile:

I’m working in a multiplayer game, it is Network MP and Local Split Screen MP right now, but few weeks ago I just started to think about online MP (Server - Client).

I’s called (Currently) CMS, a chickens action MP game :smiley: you can follow the game progress either on my personal twitter or on the FB pag:

https://twitter.com/_mamoniem

If you don’t want me put links at your post, please let me know, and I’ll remove them :slight_smile:

Cheers,
-m

That looks pretty cool! I checked out Coated too. Feel free to use the links wherever you’d like.