Record Screen on packaged games

Hi everyone,

I’m currently working on a virtual production project using DMX and other technologies. I have been asked to implement a functionality that allows the user to record the screen without using third party software (OBS, etc).

I have researched some unreal features like sequencer, take recorder, etc, but they only work within the editor, I can’ even package the project if any of this modules are included.

So do you guys know any other way to achieve this? I have thought about replay system but I dont think this is a good approach since I only want to capture the screen and export the video with a given format.

kind regards,

Alejandro.

As far as I know you can’t do this natively, at one point I tried finding out if I could take a screenshot in packaged game and save it somewhere and I did not manage to do it. You will most likely need to create custom solution for that.

Hi polysiens, thanks for the response

Actually, I’m able to take screenshots in packaged games, using render targets and exporting them to disk, that’s not a problem.

Regarding the recording screen issue I’have found some plugins , but I don’t know if them are worth the money.

FrameCapture (FrameCapture - Screen Capture and Video Recorder in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace ).

If someone has tried this plugin, some feedback would be apprecciated!

1 Like

Update:

I managed to capture video and export it as an .avi using UMovieSceneCapture. The problem is it works in the editor, but not in the packaged game.

Is UMovieSceneCapture not suposed to be used on package? The engine allowed me to build with the “MovieSceneCapture” module so I dont know.

Not sure about that plugin, it has mixed reviews. People say that it is complicated to use and the fps drops drastically, but from the responses it seems to work. I would look into other plugins before going with this one.

Hi, I am purchasing and testing the Frame Capture plugin, images using high resolution screenshot, video recording screenshot only, it works very well, but the quality is not enough for me, if you find another option, please describe it

Hi,

Try off world live, it’s a virtual production unreal toolkit that allows viewport capture, along with other features like streaming, NDI support,etc.

The plugin requires a license for commercial purposes, but is a great plugin overall.

Kind regards.

I recently implemented Runtime Video Recording, which works in the packaged games!

My plugin currently supports Windows, Linux and Android. It also allows to record Render Target (experimental!)

(post deleted by author)