Record option for play mode (beside matinee), new screencasting options

Hi,

1. I would like to be able to hit record with a keyboard hot key of whenever I like inside the play mode.
    And I would like to stop it whenever I like.

Then the footage would screencast automatically to a previously designated folder path with previously specified resolution and specified window frame.

1. Unreal Engine community would benefit greatly if there were and internal screencasting tool for the whole Unreal Engine interface and for specific frames and specific modes. For example I would like to record the viewport or the play mode (without the upper bar saying with the bar name on it).

This way creating tutorials would be much easier and faster.

For now, I can only use matinee and an external broadcasting software but it is a drag.

Maybe there are some tools for recording footage that I don’t know of. But they seem to be hard to find for a new user like me.

Thanks

Hey ,

I am not sure what software you are using to record your screen, but there are a handful of great tools you can use to record your screen for tutorials. The I see with this request would be creating the framework for the video recording, and implementing it into the engine so it communicates seamlessly with Blueprints. Another problem that I see coming out of this would be saving and exporting the video file for editing. Since this would be done through the editor, I could see some complications with performance, sound issues, and other things happening within the background of the Engine to damage or corrupt playback. Take a look at the link I provided to explore some other screen recording applications for Windows.

The video recording process and its performance can also depend heavily on your system specifications.

Free Screen Recording Software for Windows

With all of this in mind, if you are having issues with matinee or need assistance with video playback, you can always create a new post on the AnswerHub and we will be happy to help!

Cheers,

I would recommend having a look at this list of the top 10 screen recording software. it has a nice breakdown so you can find just what you’re looking for.

I highly recommend Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). It’s free, open source, and runs off your GPU which means the performance hit is very low (less than 5fps). It uses a source system that allows you to record individual windows, whole display(s), and allows you to arrange multiple re-sizable sources on top of each other, or any other layout you want. It’s a really powerful tool, but the interface is relatively simple and easy to use.

I’ve been using it for a long time now to create Youtube videos, but it also has built in streaming mode that is easy to hook up to streaming services online.

Here’s their site: https://obsproject.com/

EDIT: Just noticed this thread got necro’d… hopefully this is useful to someone else :wink: