Record Audio Output Records Blank Audio Files, Why?

Hi! I had been trying to use the “Start Recording Output” and “Finish Recording Output” nodes to try to record audio that’s output in my project. In the documentation for these nodes, I noticed that it said that “by leaving the Submix To Record field blank, you can record the master output of the game.” The master output should include all sounds played in the game, right?

In other research, I had seen that you have to trigger the start and the stop of the recording in order for it to work, and had success with that by using key presses to trigger each. The audio file saves, but when you play it back, there’s no sound. I have been running this in a standalone window with the “-audiomixer” flag. Do I need to add my sounds to a submix? Are there some sounds that aren’t added to the master submix? Do I need to tweak something in settings in order for this to work?

I’ve attached a picture of my current setup in blueprints

Hi kham131,

I don’t have 4.22 ready to test on right now, but I tested this with 4.25 in both PIE and standalone and it seems to be working as expected. I don’t believe this feature has changed much since it was checked in.

You don’t need to do anything special to record audio. You are correct that if you leave it blank, it uses the master submix, which is the final submix before rendering to the output.

Some questions:

• Does it work if you do it in PIE (vs standalone)?
  • Are you doing this on PC?
  • Are you using surround sound?
  • Can you attach the recorded .wav file?
  • Can you attach the log?

Thank you!

When I try to run it in PIE, I’m not able to have the -audiomixer flag and get the “Error: Output recording is an audio mixer only feature. Please run the game with -audiomixer to enable this feature.” error in the log.

I’m doing this on a Mac and as far as I know, I’m not using surround sound, just play sound 2D. I tried to attach the .wav file but it said that the “file type was invalid.” When I played back the file on my computer, there was no sound there.

I have attached part of the log that includes the errors I get when I run it PIE. I don’t get any log when I run it in standalone, but either way, the clips come out blank, though I’m not able to attach them for some reason.

To whoever might have this problem in the future.

For me (I am using windows) the problem with outputting blank files was caused by not having the correct microphone set as a default in Windows. Going to control panel → sound → recording, and setting the microphone I wanted to use as default solved the issue. Changing your input audio device from the taskbar doesn’t help, it needs to be set as default in the control panel.