Realtime virtual production workstation requirements

Hi,

I’m speccing out a mid/high-end VP workstation and just had a question on most important aspects of the build. In general, compared to a gaming PC, should CPU, GPU, GPU RAM and system RAM grow in similar proportions or should one be favoured more than the other, when it comes to VP? Or would it depend on the type of VP? For the sake of simplicity, I’m after a single-unit workstation, with a potential being a node of a bigger system down the line, using realtime workflow, including raytracing and realtime keying.

Also for the sake of argument, where would the weakness of the following build be?

• Threadripper 3970X
  • RTX 3090 (24GB RAM)
  • 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX
  • ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING
  • Liquid cooled CPU

Plan is to use something like a BM URSA Mini 4.5K as single or potentially dual camera inputs.

Thanks,
PJ

it seems a good workstation for what you need. you might need to add a blackmagic io card for minputs or monitoring.
be aware that raytracing in 4k might be pretty heavy to compute, but if you don t produce at 96 FPS it should do it :slight_smile:

and if you need more advice on BM hardware or Professional broadcast monitors just ask !

I’ve seen some VP workstations with 128GB or more or system RAM, what’s the point there? I understand GPU RAM for some high fidelity textures but why system RAM?

on high end compositing / finishing workstations, it can be usefull to have a lot of ram, to store lots of passes to compose and achieve good performances, but i m not sure it s usefull for realtime. the good thing on your config is that if your short in ram, you will be able to double it later

great, thanks