Realtime Dynamic GI + Reflections + AO + Emissive - AHR

Well it’s all good, but game, you are referring to, is player driven. Players can build anything, anywhere, in any capacity (;. So technique, should scale to actually densely populated environments.

So I think, celverly managin voxels around, should allow to scale technique to any scene. You don’t need to voxelize everything, you don’t need to do it every frame.

Seems cool!
That’s probably where the cascades comes into play, where far planes are managed more with ambient terms and close stuff is traced inside voxel space.
I’d love to know about the object budget the devs are gonna impose to the player, or the culling schemes to not let the ps4 crawl under the pressure.

@
I am really started to wonder if you could theoretically encode the tracing solution and get lightmaps out of that. Replacing Lightmass with a more modern renderer seems like a dream.
That could also be used for ToD, where you basically recapture and accumulate lightmap info every ten seconds or so, and use one full second to build the next step to be interpolated over.
Or maybe support destructibles by having the tracing happen only on geometry that’s been modified, saving performance that way. You could use already existent gbuffer masks and constraint the tracing.
What about ray marching in participating media? Do you plan to support ?

Participating media is already supported, as it supports tracing transparency

That’s nice! I’ll wait for updates then.

hey everybody, just a quick update. Tomorrow I have the last exam, so expect a lot of updates week

Cool. Good luck with your exam!

Well, my motherboard died, so, yeah, updates will be a little slower than expected. Should have everything fixed in the next few days. Hope so

Looks very promising! is the only thing that UE4 really lacks over UE3 accept for the Movie Texture support but supposedly that will be back in in 4.5

looks so promising, I can’t wait to test it out! My anticipation is up! :slight_smile:

Jesus man, you don’t want much do you ;)?

On topic: Amazing work, I’m not surprised that somebody took up the challenge but it’s great that you have and have managed to do so very quickly.

Everything working now ( it think. My windows installation is doing some funny things, but will cross fingers and hope it remains stable), so I’m starting to work on AHR right now.

I decided to go and modify the source directly, as I’t should be easier for me given I have to add a few things at various stages on the rendering pipeline. That comes with a question. Considering that will take time, and Epic updates UE quite often, what will be the best way to keep my code up to date will also working on AHR? I don’t have a lot of experience working on a team, and almost none at Git. Will I have used for quite a while now TFS, Git is a totally diferent beast. I code mostly by my self, and never something as massive as Unreal Engine. Some help will be more than welcome :wink:

Regarding AHR, I’m gonna re-work the whole voxel update code, as I have a new pipeline now that should reduce the number of objects that need to be voxelized each frame to just the dynamic ones and the ones that where outside the grid bounds on the prev frame and now are inside. Also, on the raytracing side I worked out a way to keep raytracing on the pixel that hadn’t moved, so that the lighting gets progressively refined. On moving things lighting quality won’t improve at all over the old raytracing, but given that they move (gotta love motion blur) it shouldn’t be a big problem, and the other things will look much better.
Just a few numbers. If, for example, some part of the scene hadn’t move a lot on the last 8 frames, which is not that impossible, and assuming we are doing 4 rays per frame, we end up at 32 rays, all at the cost of 4. At 60 FPS, 8 frames are just 0.13 seconds.
Still, that’s all theoretical for now, hadn’t got into making those changes. Everything is on a notebook and a whiteboard :wink:

Great to see that is still being worked on. Looking forward to see more.

Well, I should be finishing the preliminaries over week, and by friday starting to get into the UE4 code. I’m allready thinking how to integrate it though, and given I have that old test implementation I did, I can try and take a few ideas from there.
BTW, given UE allready have a robust reflections system, I disabled reflections, and got a nice performance boost. Getting arround 30 - 40 fps (16 - 17 ms raytracing time) on my 750 Ti.

looks outstanding, although you said it would be free I would be willing to pay for a version of as it becomes production-ready (and I’m just a hobbyist). However, I believe someone mentioned above that it would be difficult or impossible to create a for (because it digs too deeply into the guts of the rendering code?) – are you aware of any limitations regarding ? I know very little about the low-level tech, but I would think Epic would love to support exactly sort of to allay some of the community disappointment regarding the removal of SVOGI.

Regarding keeping your code up to date with offical Epic releases, Fricker mentioned in a recent Twitch stream that improvements to the system are in the works, specifically mentioning that they’re working on how to keep plugins in sync with official code releases (Q&A at the end of video around 58:30):

Maybe worth starting a new thread under the Engine Source & Github section, or even reaching out to Epic’s devs regarding their plans?

In any case, I wish you luck, is looking incredible!

Thanks!
I will be working directly on the source really, and when is a bit more stable, will talk with Epic about getting it into the main branch, even if it’s as a WIP.

Noooooo…please dont! :smiley: Sorry^^ Yeah, the reflection system is quite nice, but I (for myself, dont want to talk for others here) am actually interested because it DOES cover everything! The reflection system in UE works, but SSR are really limited for accurate reflections and the probes bleed like hell if you have interiors and outdoors mixed :frowning:

But yeah…there just is no solution that has everything I guess^^

Well, as I said is just a compiler switch. If there’s interest for it, I surely will work on that! Want to get GI working correctly first though.

First post woo.

I am usually a lurker around here, but was impressive. I will be keeping my eye on one for sure!
My project relies a lot on dynamic contant, and dynamic GI is a I have been hoping will get some love! So, thank you very much for working on , it will be very helpful to me and many others.

Just to keep the thread alive, I’m still working on . but sadly Borderlands : The Pre-Sequel is taking more of my time that I had expected :). Anyway, should start to make the changes to the source weekend.

That’s the gamer’s curse man