RealityCapture - Blender roundtrip with kept scale and orientation

Hi. 

For the past 2 hours (not kidding) i’ve been trying to figure out what settings to use when exporting a mesh from RealityCapture, bringing it into Blender for a touchup and then back again to realitycapture for a new UV unwrap and reproject - but having the model re-appear with the same scale and orientation when back in Reality capture.

I assume the settings I have to consider around transformations are the:

1. Export FBX settings in Realitycapture

2. The Import FBX setttings in Blender

3. The Export FBX settings in Blender

I have not yet found any Import settings for FBX’s in Reality capture except for max part polycount. 

Can someone please just let me know if they’ve found a fruitful combination of these. I’m going mad over here. 

1. The Export settings:

2. The import in Blender: 

1. Export settings in Blender

Hi, when you are importing model back, does this file has its own rcinfo file?

I get a .rcinfo first file I export out from RealityCapture. I then copied that files and renamed it so that it would reflect the name

Also, as there could be problems with FBX, I exported as OBJ with these settings:

Noone has any best practice around this? 

Hi, do you have still problems with it? When you import model back into RC, is it in a wrong scale?

Yes, Can’t find a way with FBX , wrong scale, wrong orientation, not showing at all. However, with OBJ, I found a way. Just silly such a simple manner renders almost impossible. 

Hi,
I tested it and it seems to work on my side. Which version of RC do you have?

RC:

Blender:

Also, when I used these export settings from Blender it worked (scale, position and orientation) in RealityCapture:

Hi, all images/attachment are now gone/dead

Hi, it is because it was copied from older forum.
Do you have the same issue?

Hi, yes, there isn’t great documentation about exporting from RC with FBX or OBJ format with either

• default preset
  • blender preset

Importing in blender with default preset.

And knowing what preset when exporting back from blender I should put in forward and up direction (either x,y,z -x, -y, -z) for either OBJ or FBX format.

And what preset should I import back from reality capture.

I often have to re-export many times (24 time yesterday as I fight with fbx as it seem to overwrite my settings, in the end I finally abandonned and choose OBJ format and it only took me 3 export/import to found back the orientation. Otherwise before, I used this screenshot as reference but now it doesn’t work everytime)

Hi, for me it worked for both formats and options using default settings.
I exported FBX from RC using these:

As you can see, the transformation settings are the same for both options.

Regarding OBJ it looks like:

In Blender I used these settings for all the options:
FBX:

OBJ:

and only OBJ default was imported rotated:

This is because Y was set as up axis during import (RC uses Z as up axis).

For the export from Blender I used:
FBX

OBJ

Then I copied the originally created rcInfo files for models expoerted from Blender. Like:

and then just import the models using predefined settings.
FBX:

OBJ exported as default:

OBJ exported as Blender:

But I didn’t need to change any settings, as these import settings are saved in the rcInfo file. Of course, I didn’t rotate the model in Blender in any way.