Reading Data From a Render Target for Further Processing

Hi,

This appears to be a topic that comes up every few years, so it looks like its time for my turn.

Goal: UE 5, Extract the image from a Render Target during runtime and store the pixels in an array for further processing in C++. Specifically, I need the scene depth, but the rgb may be useful for debugging.

Info:
SceneCaptureComponent2D w/ a Capture Source of “SceneColor (HDR) in RGB, Scene Depth in A”
RenderTarget w/ Render Target Format of “RTF RGBA16f” (I need at least the 16f or the 32f), Dimensions of 1024x1024
The render target is then passed into a C++ blueprint function library

Optimally, I could use “SceneDepth in R” + “RTF R16f”, but there appeared to be errors when processing textures not in an rbga format. I am not sure if it is relevant though.

At the moment, I am not paying any attention to the rbga order of the output, just trying to get the output in the first place.

The code is crashing when it runs line 162 (The RHILockTexture2D line). When I switch the EResourceLockMode to WriteOnly, it manages to run just fine, but the PixelArray is empty as expected. So I think there is something going wrong with the RHILockTexture2D ReadOnly mode. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks,
Glascomet

Relevant Links to older posts
UE Forum: Reading Data From UTexture2D
UE Forum: Accessing Pixel Values of Texture2D
UE Forum: How Should I Sample A Runtime-Generated Texture in All My Game’s Materials

Code

FString UMyBlueprintFunctionLibrary::MySampleRenderTarget(UTextureRenderTarget2D* InTarget)
{
    int32 InSizeX = InTarget->SizeX;
    int32 InSizeY = InTarget->SizeY;

struct FCopyBufferData {
        TPromise<void> Promise;
        TArray<FFloat16Color> StructDestBuffer;
    };

TArray<FFloat16Color> PixelArray;
    int32 sizeOfImage = InSizeX * InSizeY;
    PixelArray.SetNum(sizeOfImage);

using FCommandDataPtr = TSharedPtr<FCopyBufferData, ESPMode::ThreadSafe>;
    FCommandDataPtr CommandData = MakeShared<FCopyBufferData, ESPMode::ThreadSafe>();
    CommandData->StructDestBuffer.SetNum(sizeOfImage);

auto Future = CommandData->Promise.GetFuture();

//CopyTextureToArray(InTexture, PixelArray);
    if (InTarget && InTarget->Resource && InTarget->Resource->TextureRHI.IsValid() && InTarget->Resource->TextureRHI->GetTexture2D()->IsValid()) {
        UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("Valid, Starting Read"));
        const uint32 NumBytes = CalculateImageBytes(InTarget->SizeX, InTarget->SizeY, 0, InTarget->GetFormat());

ENQUEUE_RENDER_COMMAND(CopyTexture2DToArray)(
            [Data = CommandData, Bytes = NumBytes, LUT = InTarget->Resource->TextureRHI, bFlush = false](FRHICommandListImmediate& RHICmdList)
        {
            uint32 DestStride = 0;
            FFloat16Color* DestBuffer = static_cast<FFloat16Color *>(RHILockTexture2D(LUT->GetTexture2D(), 0, EResourceLockMode::RLM_ReadOnly, DestStride, false, false));

FMemory::Memcpy(Data->StructDestBuffer.GetData(), DestBuffer, Bytes);

RHIUnlockTexture2D(LUT->GetTexture2D(), 0, false, bFlush);
            Data->Promise.SetValue();
        });

}
    else {
        UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("InValid, Skipped"));
    }

Future.Get();
    PixelArray = std::move(CommandData->StructDestBuffer);

int32 size = PixelArray.Num();

uint32 A, R, B, G;
    FString pixString;
    for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
        A = PixelArray[i].A.GetFloat();
        R = PixelArray[i].R.GetFloat();
        B = PixelArray[i].B.GetFloat();
        G = PixelArray[i].G.GetFloat();
        pixString = FString::Printf(TEXT("Sample Render Target. i=%d:Colors A=%f, B=%f, R=%f, G=%f"), i, A, B, R, G);
        UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("%s"), *pixString);
    }

// Return the Data
    UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("Sampling Texture"));
    //return (FString::Printf(TEXT("Sample Render Target. Colors A=%d, B=%d, R=%d, G=%3.3f"), sizeOfImage, size, 10, 10.0));
    return (FString::Printf(TEXT("Sample Render Target. Colors A=%f, B=%f, R=%f, G=%f"),A,B,R,G));
}

Crash Error (Line 162 is the RHILockTexture2D line)

Assertion failed: !bRequiresResourceStateTracking [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Public\D3D12Resources.h] [Line: 270]

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_LineTraceTest_1026!<lambda_7025c7817cb6d771a71b75e91192b8b4>::operator()() [C:\Users\name\Documents\Unreal Projects\LineTraceTest\Source\LineTraceTest\Private\MyBlueprintFunctionLibrary.cpp:162]
UnrealEditor_LineTraceTest_1026!TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<`UMyBlueprintFunctionLibrary::MySampleRenderTarget'::`5'::CopyTexture2DToArrayName,<lambda_7025c7817cb6d771a71b75e91192b8b4> >::DoTask() [C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Public\RenderingThread.h:193]
UnrealEditor_LineTraceTest_1026!TGraphTask<TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<`UMyBlueprintFunctionLibrary::MySampleRenderTarget'::`5'::CopyTexture2DToArrayName,<lambda_7025c7817cb6d771a71b75e91192b8b4> > >::ExecuteTask() [C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:975]
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

I may have figured out the error? It appeared to be a Windows Direct X 12 Problem, so under Project Settings → Default RHI → DirectX 12 to DirectX 11. Now it is not crashing, however I am still getting empty data out from the render target. Advice would be appreciated.

Having tried both Dx12 and Dx11, I’m still getting a hang with the above code - I’d be happier with a crash…

Unreal just grinds to a halt and I have to kill it with task manager. Did you make any progress with this?

Hi @Glascomet,
Did you find anything to make this work?
I am trying to get the pixels in a byte array for my game.
It is only a resolution of 640x480, so it should not be so hard.