Re-usable player start locations

I have a set of levels which require X number of player start locations which will be chosen at runtime given some condition. Each player start has a the necessary tag so that it can found. Rather than adding each player start by hand (and remembering to add the appropriate tags) I’d like a re-usable solution. Something I can drop into the left and then just re-arrange in a manner needed by the level itself. I tried to place all of my player starts in a sub-level, the problem of course being that if I move the player starts in one map, it movers for all of the maps that have the same sub-level. I feel like this should be doable and I’m just missing something. Am I going about this the wrong way? Should I just make a simple with all of the necessary player starts and drop that in?

You can make a BP which spawns the player starts from a ‘call in editor’ event, and then use the construction script to move them around with a widget. I tried it like this

There are teething problems. They all spawn on top of each other, and you can see them, for some reason. Apart from that, great :slight_smile:

Indeed, I set something up like this as an interim solution, albeit with child actor components instead. It’s starting to look like a not so interim solution after all :slight_smile: . I don’t know why I keep fighting this solution mentally. For some reason it feels like a hack even though it’s likely the best way to do it.

Anyway, thanks for the response/validation!!

1 Like