Raytraced reflections of reflective materials - massive noise?

What I am saying is use raytracing for the primary bounce, and only use cube-mapping in the secondary bounces. So this works fine for accurate rear and side view mirrors, as the mirror would reflect objects correctly.

But if you were to look through the raytraced mirror, at the paint of the car, the car paint would be cube-mapped. This prevents the issue of the car looking flat in reflections because the fallback is cube-mapped instead of flat.

This is done by forcing the cubemap to be sampled only when in the raytraced view.

Ah okay, gotcha! I’ve tried that, and indeed it works nicely for getting rid of the noise by setting the max raytraced bounces to 1 and adding a cubemap via raytraced quality node. Luckily, I was already able to tackle the noise in the reflection by just having the material set to 0 roughness while maintaining 2 bounces. Here is a comparison:

1 bounce with custom cubemap.

2 bounces, no cubemap.

I prefer using raytraced reflections as it gives a more realistic picture and fps does not seem to suffer. The only issue I am left is the weird ghosting behavior/see through behavior of my mirror material as I’ve described in my other post.

Hey, this might be of great help for this:

1 Like