Ray Tracing Overview - Unreal Engine 4.22 Preview

r.RayTracing.SkyLight give very noisy results. Is there any plan to add a denoiser for the Skylight to avoid using height SPP values?
By the way, what’s th purpose of r.RayTracing.SkyLight.Sampling.StopLevel ?
Thanks!

Hi,
I know that Ue4 doesn’t support multiple gpu yet, but since Ue4 using the DXR functionalities (and not nvidia rtx), is Ue4 asking DirectX for all available tensors and rt cores or is it only restricted the main display gpu ?
Nvidia Nvlink should make tensors cores and Rt cores “merged” for the DXR functions right ?

Try r.RayTracing.GlobalIllumination.Denoiser = 1 as you see in PDF in begin of this topic.

I believe it’s on by default, it’s just not doing as good a job as the other denoisers. Could just be that we don’t have a version that was fully trained yet.

@EA_Unreal_77 Yes, the GI denoiser is already set to 1!

People have mentioned translucency several times and I really hope we see translucency-altered shadows next, even if they’re an approximation.

I’m also missing the viewport Ray Trace menu. I followed all the steps in the pdf, and r.raytrace is on. What could I be missing?

Preview 5, by the way.

After doing the -DX12 step, the easiest way to configure it is to go to the project settings and type “skin cache” into the filter box and enable that, then “raytracing”. Then you’re guaranteed for the settings to be written to the right .ini file.

Show me your viewport.

My problem was to do with not having latest drivers btw. The guide i was following was a little old and specified drivers for an older preview.

Always use the latest drivers, that’s what the latest UE is built on at time of release.

[h=1]My EPIC menu shows 4.21.2 , anyone have 4.22 on there EPIC menu

Add new with + and look for triangle and list will opened.

I do not believe so but can you ray trace reflections and shadows off of emission textures?

We just need the drivers update in April and be happy about it !!

20 FPS in Battlefield V? No, thanks! :slight_smile:

The good news is not for playing games, it is for gamedev where several people will be able to delay the purchase of a RTX card for much longer time and also decide for a better model for their use purposes. Until we can put our hands in the graphics driver from April there is no way to tell if this is not just a strategy from NVidia to convince people to purchase RTX because now you could see how it performs against pascal. Even for games, you would still be able to decide if you want just reflections, shadows or both, so the issue on performance would not be that great.

The key argument on NVidia’s keynote now is that RT cores just accelerate ray tracing and that it is possible to have it working on Pascal aswel. Previously they lead people to understand that without RT Cores ray tracing would not be possible. This point for what I was tired to say to everyone, that the only thing necessary was to have the features implemented at driver level and would work for any card. I thinks this move will make AMD do something about their own cards.

I’m actually curious as to if it means DLSS will work on Pascal cards. If so, RT isn’t entirely infeasible for games that can use DLSS to upsample.

The DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) feature can only run with Tensor Cores, so it is locked to a hardware feature, and it is not feaseble because what I will show below:

It can be understood with the slide NVidia showed with the explanation on how strong a Pascal card like GTX 1080TI would need to be to perform a Metro Exodus rendering scene at 60FPS in 1440p with RTX ON and DLSS.

And also which is the performance distribution in the RTX card to do the job per feature inside the card:

So, the RTX cards got RT cores, INT+FLOAT and Tensor Core features that alone sum up 23 + 2 + 9 TFLOPS = 34 TFLOPS equivalent in power, so theoretically a GTX 1080TI is only able to do 10 TFLOPS from the 44 TFLOPS required. Also check in the image the peaks! That is scary!

To understand what will be delivered, you need to imagine the same scene but without DLSS, which we know will drop the framerates because there would be no performance improvement, so we can say that the RTX card is having to use more TFLOPS to do the work, so harder. The ray tracing is done mostly by the RT cores and this is what the driver update will enable, a feature that will force an equivalent of extra 23 TFLOPS, remember it is 60 FPS @ 1440p inside Metro Exodus, for a GTX 1080TI which can do 10 TFLOPS. The math doesn’t lie in this case, it would be unplayable at that resolution with RTX ON on a GTX 1080 TI, so you will need to play in Full HD probably, because at 1440p it is at 1/3 frame rates that you can with RTX OFF. (just an approximation, they show it is 18 FPS in the 1st slide)

PS: even if it was possible DLSS as a compute shader workload instead a hardware feature, it won’t finish in time to deliver the frame, so it would be just an added cost to the rendering in general.

do you have any project files for testing ? thx!