Randomly generated terrain?

Hi, UE4 Community!

I’m new to UE4 and have some questions.

1. Is it possible to randomly generate terrain, like minecraft does?
  2. If yes, is it possible to mine stone etc. somehow?

If someone knows how to do that, can you tell me please?

I’d have some more questions, but i’ll wait for these 2 answers before. Because if this is not possible, i have to quit UE4 again.

Thanks

No. You need an engine specifically designed for that, you could certainly add that functionality since the engine source is available, but it wouldn’t be easy.

Thanks for the fast answer!

You know, I’d like to try to make a game with a crafting system similar to the forest, but with other gameplay mechanics. It should be possible to change environment and carry around ressources you “harvest” around the world. and even build custom buildings out of them. Is something like this possible with unreal engine? Could you recommend an engine, wich makes this possible? I have enough time to learn, but want to start with the perfect engine for doing that. Please notice I already supported UE4 with 2 months of subscribtion.

That type of thing is certainly possible, you can place things in the game, if they are already created, but dynamic terrain is an issue because of things like collision. The thing that can become a problem is having a large number of objects because that increases draw calls. Something like The Forest is just fine, but you’d have to do a lot of work to make something with features like No Man’s Sky, Minecraft, or Fracture. There aren’t any available engines that offer those types of features because you have to specifically design for them and build your engine around those features.

I don’t have the link, but someone did make a random terrain generator similar to Minecraft a few months ago; it was even featured on one of the Twitch streams. As far as I know, the author hadn’t added any spawning or mining, but that might be a good place to start. I’d find it, but I’m a bit pressed for time right now. Perhaps someone else can post a link.

Cheers,
-D

That would be Andrew’s BrickGame located here

I’m relatively new to Unreal engine, and was trying to figure out how to make terrain generation similar to minecraft. I somewhat grasp the main concepts of how the generation works, however I’m having difficulty on how to implement this. Specifically, I have problems with programming the logic per chunk, as I have the logic for breaking and placing the blocks and I know how to make new blocks and add simple functions to them, however I can’t quite figure out how to have them recognized by the engine (i.e. if I should make each chunk an actor or an individual level and just stitch levels together). Any tips on how to get started, or tutorials that explain the implementation of random terrain generation would be incredibly helpful