randomly generated island on spawn?

hey there, im trying to make a map for a survival game, that spawns you on a randomly generated island. my idea was to get some randomly generated perlin noise, and use it as a depth mask on a circular dynamic mesh. in theory, as far as i know, this should make a circle with lots of random depth info. but my issue is that im not sure how to use perlin noise to affect mesh depth. i applied a plugin called “geometry script” which unlocks more blueprint editor items, and there was one called “apply perlin noise to mesh” however im not sure how to referenec my dynamic mesh, or use the perlin noise as depth instead of a texture. ive searched online and cant find anything so if anyone could help id massively appreciate it. thanks!

For dynamic island like that you either use C++ or something like voxel plugin:

However i suggest you make first tiny “static” map, to test locomotion, create all crafting systems etc. do not bother (at very beginning) with creating big map. It will bloat project size, create longer times for backups, compiling those shaders, loading map etc, All will be bigger and slower.

When you have gameplay prototype you can start working on that map generation.

thanks for the response, i tried voxel a little bit ago, but i wasnt really sure how i could configure it to be a specific shape. all i want is a randomly height mapped circle basically

Not sure if this can be done realtime (or in deployed and packaged game, tools are most probably editor only), but there are landscape editing blueprint tools, you need plugin for it.

So in theory you could make circle island landscape then modify those blueprints a bit. Add auto landscape material, then something to create auto foliage and you have procedural maps. This would make “poor man” procedural island. However i do not think this alone is enough for full game. There is no feedback, i think it will be very hard to make code that finds spots for things like villages, roads etc. For prototype would be more than enough.

This is that system showcase/tutorial:

1 Like