Download

Random point in rotated box

Hi guys,
need your help, I’m having difficulties trying to pick random points inside a rotated box.
Here’s the situation:

The camera is upside down (for complex and not modifiable reasons) and GetComponentsBounds / RandomPointInBoundingBox do not seem to take rotations in consideration.
Has any of you worked on something similar or has any idea to help me figure this out?
I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

Generate a point as your box would be centered in 0,0,0 and with no rotation - just a random vector in range/bounds or what ever it’s called. Or you can always just generate 3 random floats in range and make vector out of them.
Then do a Transform(RandomPoint, GetActorTransform(Box)) this will translate your point into a world space aligned with box. You need to use TransformLocation node for this.

I’m not sure I grasped what you suggested, but maybe it’s because it’s late and I’m tired.

The point I should randomly get, should be in a box of the same size as the rotated one, right?
Then I should do as in this picture? With T being GetWorldTransform of the Collison Box component, and Location being the random point in the surrogate box?

Exactly but put origin input as 0,0,0

Yes, it made lot more sense in the morning :smiley:
It worked perfectly.
Thank you very much BoredEngineer.