Random Generation Tutorials?

Hey guys.
I am inspiring to make a strategy game in UE4.
For this game i really want random world generation, so one game is never the same, like CIV if you have ever played.
Anyone know good tutorials or resources to help me on my way?

My threads aren’t quite tutorials, but they might help you out.

My favorite resource has been:

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html

Haven’t played CIV, but I don’t recommend that you stick with a world generation method from a tutorial, you should make your own from scratch after watching a few tutorials, just think about how you would make one, and experiment. A few months ago I was working on a Terraria clone, and it generated a nice world, and even though I made it, it was still very difficult to navigate my large algorithm, so you can imagine how hard it would be to change an algorithm that you didn’t make yourself. What knowledge exactly are you looking for as far as world generation?

What sort of world would you like to make? I can make a tutorial series if you’d like, I just need to know what for.

Zeustia thank you i will take a look at them :slight_smile:

Jamendxman3, basically the map contains multiple types of tiles (Forest, Desert, Mountains, Wasteland) etc
From a top down perspective everytime a player starts a new game, they are randomly placed in a different way.
The map itself need not change shape if that would be it overly complicated, aslong as the tiles themselves change and the location of the Player/AI bases are also randomly placed.
(This is an example CIV map where resources have been randomly placed http://forum.civilization.org.pl/img/LDeska_phpfXuPhK_Civ5Screen0034.jpg )

So CIV is one of those war games where you build a base and can destroy other players’ bases, but with tiles?

Yes pretty much that, how possible is it for you to do a tutorial series?

Hmm… Well currently I think I am going to make a tutorial series on creating a Minecraft clone from scratch in blueprints, but your idea sounds fun as well :\ I think I may start a tutorial series for both of these if others are interested.

Anyways, here is a thread for a Minecraft clone series: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?75238-Poll-Minecraft-Clone-from-Scratch-tutorial-series , maybe give some input regarding your CIV idea, but it is really up to the community if they are interested or not. For me, it is just as much about being active on my YouTube channel as it is about educating the community, so whatever the community wants goes.

Fair enough, well obviously minecraft is different from a strategy game so while it would be interesting to watch it develop im not sure how much it could help me.
The more specified tutorials (these) would be a much bigger help to me and anyone else wondering about random generation

Hmm… Well currently I think I am going to make a tutorial series on creating a Minecraft clone from scratch in blueprints, but your idea sounds fun as well :\ I think I may start a tutorial series for both of these if others are interested.

Anyways, here is a thread for a Minecraft clone series: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?75238-Poll-Minecraft-Clone-from-Scratch-tutorial-series , maybe give some input regarding your CIV idea, don’t get me wrong though, I would like to make a tutorial series about this, but it is really up to the community if they are interested or not. For me, it is just as much about being active on my YouTube channel as it is about educating the community, so whatever the community wants goes.

Is there nothing quick you could whip up?
I truly am struggling with this and if its to be left at the communities choice that leaves me hanging abit

I know what you mean, what exactly is it you are struggling with? Do you just not know where to begin? Is there anything specific you’d like to know?

I really just dont know the first thing about it so i need so pointers on how to start :slight_smile:

Hmm… Well the first thing would be to decide how you want your world to be created. From the looks of it, the worlds are basically just islands made up of a hexagonal pattern, which I assume is randomly shaped. The basic landscape wouldn’t be too hard to work on. Firstly you’d want to import a hexagon shape, and then go into a blueprint, and create a loop. This loop should spawn a grid of hexagons, with the even # rows spawning hexagons with an offset of 0, and with a spacing of the hexagon width, and the odd # rows spawning with an offset of the hexagon’s width / 2, and having a spacing of the hexagon’s width. It should increment the x at which to spawn each hexagon, and once the x reaches the max island width, it should increment the y/z, and set the x to 0. From there, you can work on things like unevenly shaped islands using random numbers, and a lot of branches. Do you see what I am getting at? You do know how to do basic things in blueprints (spawning actors/instances, and the basics of loops and other things)?

Yeah i kind of see where your getting at, and yeah im alright with using blueprint