Random errors without update engine or anything else

Dear community,

Since a few days we have a pretty unusual and frustrating bug which we can’t fix. We are developing an internal used plugin which has some modules and a lot of code in it. Last friday I had this error the first time and since then we struggled with it and can’t work without fixing it first.

Sometimes, in any class or file of our main plugin, if we add any sort of code we can’t compile anymore until we reverted that line of code. That’s just random and we can’t explain when and how this happens. The errors we got firstly were just warnings before, so we fixed the warnings and since then just a bunch of random compile time functions, like static functions or template functions seems can’t get linked properly. We have a lot of “unresolved external symbols” errors.

Example for such a code line:

TArray<FString> Array = TArray<FString>{"random string"};

But I want to say that this has nothing to do with the code itself it can just be:

int32 x = 0;

It just doesn’t matter what we want to add, it just randomly doesn’t compile without a proper error message. It just can’t like some random compile time functions properly or something else. The errors seems to be just random.

So how can this happen? We are developing on that plugin since a long time now and we never had this issue. It’s that random, that I can’t explain when, how, where it will happen and we can’t work with it because we can’t write code randomly. Even if you won’t have the answer to how this can happen, maybe someone has a probable fix for it. We did some usual stuff like delete Binariies & Intermediate, build project files. We have different visual studio versions and none of them work but we use VS2019. We use majorly 4.22 UE but we port our plugin to every UE version, so it worked in 4.21 too. We wanted to port to 4.24 next because we had no need for 4.23.

Thanks for your answers.