Random Crashes 4.8.2 (something to do with updating parent class?)

Probable cause: updating a parent class blueprint that has children it seems updating that is the crash source. (although i am only adding functions and variables that have nothing to do with the children and updating the parent to update all children is actually the reason we use a parent class in the first place

[UPDATED]
OK I can strongly say the problem is editing parent blueprint!!

i deleted the children and now intensive variable adding and function adding doesn’t seem to make it crash

so this is my observation:

editing the parent blueprint like adding variables and functions crashes the engine. in my specific experience it crashed every time (sometimes it didn’t crash when i edited the blueprint but it eoul crash like in 3-4 minutes after

Probable cause: updating a parent class blueprint that has children it seems updating that is the crash source. (although i am only adding functions and variables that have nothing to do with the children and updating the parent to update all children is actually the reason we use a parent class in the first place

my rig:

i7 4930k
32 gb ram
gtx 780 ti

You shouldnt use versions which are not available yet… They are bound to crash a lot :wink:

[]
You shouldnt use versions which are not available yet…
[/]

I aleady thought I missed the latest update :rolleyes:

if your on 4.8.3 then your pulling from the master branch, and that branch is not a stable release use release or promoted for better stability

People would help you here but you need to be a little more constructive. Posting inflammatory content turns people off real quick. That will quickly get people off side and, if your issue is genuine, you won’t get the help you need. As to your problem, are you sure you are using 4.8.3? It’s not released yet. Also, you are running UE on Windows, and people running on Windows tend to have custom HW/SW, it could be drivers or your setup.

4.8.2, the current release, is stable for me on OSX and Windows, none of the crashes you seems to be getting randomly. I would look closer to home, and perhaps rollback to a released version.

[]
if your on 4.8.3 then your pulling from the master branch,
[/]

I thought the master branch is already at 4.9 :confused:

Master branch is 4.9 and the version number of the 4.8 branch is not yet set to 4.8.3 so there is no 4.8.3, so a_najafi is right, 4.8.3 is definately a joke :smiley:

4.8.2 is also pretty stable for me.

[=a_najafi;335400]
I have come back after a long time to use the engine again i was reading the doc about 4.8 and seeing all those crashes reported fixed got me like finaly!!

and then i started using it :confused:

i have had a crash nearly every 4 minutes right now… i get a crash when i add a variable to a bp and recompile i get a crash when i add a fucntion and recompile… this looks like a joke seriously…

am i like the only one here?!?! i mean aren’t people using this to make a living??

crashes are with nothing to show for i simply added a function named it and the engine crashed it has crashed about 6 times as i am writing this (i am trying to be accurate)

i used 4.7.6 and although it had problems with structs and enums in bp it was never this disruptive … i mean i cant do a simple thing!!

p.s: yep it just crashed … literly i was just looking at the viewport not even moving anything and it crashed…

my rig:

i7 4930k
32 gb ram
gtx 780 ti
[/]

Well, 4.8.3 is not released to the public yet, so it is bound to crash. As far as 4.8.2 goes, I have not had any crashes since it’s been out.

typo guys come on…

i don’t know what to say i guess i turned into a joke :confused:

i am using 4.8.2 it was a typo mistake as i don’t run the engine from the launcher i just assumed it was 4.8.3. (i use it on several systems and no reason to use bandwith to download the engine every time)

the crashes are very very real. but i think i found the root o all evil its updating a parent class blueprint that has children it seems updating that is the crash source. (although i am only adding functions and variables that have nothing to do with the children and updating the parent to update all children is actually the reason we use a parent class in the first place

and for the other funny lads: no one likes a jerk! you can clearly guess what kind of mistake i’ve made saying 4.8.3 your not being smart here making fun of it!. and there is no reason for me to rant about the engine if i am not having problems with it!

and if there are any admins please change topic to :

Random Crashes 4.8.2 (something to do with updating parent class??)

sorry for the anger management problems :’(

hm thats a weird bug, i have a parent blueprint for all my characters and i have not run into this. does this happen even on simple changes? (like adding a variable?)

Hi everyone,

I have not been able to reproduce this crash on my end. If you can, please post this to the answerhub in the bug reports section (link in signature). In your bug report, please include your full dxdiag, crash logs, callstack, whether this occurs in a clean project with no additional content or a specific project, and any reproduction steps we can take to reproduce the error on our end.

I have been experiencing tremendous amount of crashing when dealing with asset check-outs (source control - svn) and parent classes since 4.8 in multiple projects, if it is still happening to you, try disabling source control