Random Crash when loading map

Hi,

I’m experiencing random crashes in my packaged development build when loading a certain map. So far it always happened with the same map, so I guess the error is somehow connected to an asset in it. I’d estimate the crash occurs about every 10th loading of that level.

The logfile only says:

LogWindows: === Critical error: ===
Fatal error: [File:D:\Development\UnrealEngine-4.7\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp] [Line: 657] 
Rendering thread exception:

An then some empty lines.

When crashing, a Windows message box also appears, that is slightly different from crash to crash:

I also opened the dmp file, though I’m not 100% sure how to use them. When I press debug, VS opens SlateRHIRenderingPolicy.cpp on line 315 (just like the message box says), so I guess the “ShaderResource” is null or something?

I also found a similar topic: 3D Widget Crashing Standalone Mode On Construct - UI - Unreal Engine Forums
The crashing level is the only one with 3D widgets in it, so it’s likely that they cause the problem. But why? Is there a workaround?

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

check to see if there are any problems in your coding or blueprints. it could just be a problem with this version as it is relatively new and still has bugs, since it is only happening with this world you might have too many objects, characters, etc lagging your world and crashing

I get no compile errors and there aren’t really that many objects in the level compared to “real levels” (it’s only crashing my hub level). I’m considering moving to standard “interface” UMG from 3D UMG objects and see if that fixes it. Problem with random crashes is that they always only occur when you don’t expect them. If you want to test if they are gone, they don’t occur and only when you think you’ve fixed the problem, suddenly they are back.

Hello anteevy,

I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed set of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of any blueprints that may be involved with this issue?

The problem is, I don’t really know the source of the issue so I can’t reproduce it elsewhere and even if I could it would be impossible to test as it’s a random issue. :confused:

Hello anteevy,

I noticed that you said you believed this issue to be related to using 3D widgets. I have a few questions that will help determine if that is the case.

1. When the crash occurs, have you noticed a pattern of information being passed to or from a 3D widget when the crashes occurs?
  2. Are you interacting in any way with a 3D widget when the crash occurs?
  3. Could explain more thoroughly when exactly the crash occurs (I understand that it is random but for example does it crash immediately when the level is loaded when it does crash)
  4. If you remove all of the 3D widgets from the level, does the crash still occur?
  5. Could you provide screen shots of any blueprints that may be involved?

Hello anteevy,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

Hi, I’ve removed all 3D widgets that I’ve recently added from the level and now “converted” them to 2D (so I just add them to the viewport instead of showing them in a 3D widget). After that, I couldn’t reproduce the error by myself. I still have 2 different smaller 3D widgets (one with 3 instances and the other 20 - one for each level entrance) in the level.

Today a playtester just had that crash again. Same crash at slaterhirenderingpolicy.cpp:315. This time though, it wasn’t at level start as before (which previously loaded directly into a 3D widget, that is now default 2D menu). Only when pressing a button to exit that 2D menu and teleport the camera to the player position (which results in some of the remaining 3D widgets being on screen now), it crashed. Everything concerning these widgets is set up on level load, the only thing that changed when the game crashed is that they were now in-camera.

So, the plan is now to remove the remaining 3D widgets and see if it occurs again. Strange though that I had these particular 3D widgets in the level since April without changes, and I’ve only noticed the crash since 1-2 months ago. In parallel, I’m now trying to “bruteforce” the crash by automatically forcing that situation (load hub level, exit 2D screen, reload hub level, …). Let’s see if I can reproduce it that way.

Hello anteevy,

I will be interested in hearing about your results for the reproduction test. Please let me know if you can come up with a reproducible test case.

Sadly, even after over 100 times loading the level, no crash occured, so it seems I can no longer reproduce the crash on my PC. I’ve just removed all remaining 3D widgets from the level and we’ll see how that goes. Will report back if I get it again.