Rail grind system

Hey everyone!

For a framework working inside UE4, I’m looking to make a rail grinding mechanic, on which the character gains speed while grinding faster than while running (I already have the code for that). I’d like the grinding to be similar to what we have here. The idea would be to make a “Grind” physics material I can put on splines or ledges so you can grind only on certain objects while that wouldn’t be possible on all splines, for instance. The problem is, I’m a total rookie at programming, be it in C++ or blueprints, but since BPs are easier to handle for beginners, I thought I’d be better off using them. And maybe my idea of physics material isn’t great for what I have in mind. Can someone show me how I can do that easily, please?

Have a great day.

Did you ever get it working? I’m looking for the same system

Hello Rocket_Punk,
For the spline movement, I found a really great starter setup created by Nofyt. Here they have their pawn using their spline. The thread continues from there with many other implementation strategies to get you started.

For the boost, I would think maybe a timer and handle would suffice. It outputs a handle with which you can clear/invalidate the timer whenever you’re ready to do so. Here is the documentation on set timer by event.

I hope this information provides assistance.