Quixel Suite?

Still learning the Unreal engine - one thing I know for sure is that I am no artist.

When it comes to texturing my in game environment - I am thinking of looking around for something that already does a great job of providing materials and normal maps to make them look more realistic.

So, this leads me to Quixel Suite, their site sure looks impressive, but what is their product all about? For example, megascans looks extremely awesome, almost looks like it contains all the stuff I want, and then I can just import it into unreal and start sticking it on my meshes (as long as I get my mapping in order, but that is another story)

I know megascans is not available yet, but what is the actual deal with this suite? Any good?

The most boring part of using Quixel is creating map IDs. Takes some time when the object has many different surfaces like metal, rubber, skin e etc…

Why not Substance Painter?.. :wink:

I’m not an artist but it’s definitely a fun program to use (Yes, actually fun!) and it’s easy to get up and go and get a quick result!

DDO and NDO do a great job at speeding up artist workflows, basically they make photoshop into a cool that’s actually good at creating textures for games. NDO is all about normal maps, it’s particularly useful for making tiling textures and adding normal details for things like text, bolts, seams, cuts, etx. DDO is the texturing half, you basically feed it a model and your texture bakes, assign materials to different parts of the model, and then tweak the materials from there. DDO has an export option for UE4, and it’s amazing at quickly getting a PBR texture really quick, with options to fine tune the texture and add tons of detail. It also works well for sylized materials as well. It’s definitely comparable to Substance painter and designer, but they are very different applications. Substance Designer is amazing for large projects, and being able to generate and alter textures/substances in game in real time. You can actually use DDO to bake a base material and then take it into substance painter to do some 3d painting.

The reason I am considering Quixel Suite over substance painter is price - Quixel seems to be fairly cheap (Unless I am mistaken, and their advertised price is per month or something?) for what it is!

I like the idea of being able to add a ton of texture to my models and have them be able to work in unreal pretty quickly without having to mess around creating textures etc. Which is why the product “Megascans” which is coming soon looks so **** impressive.

The quixel suite is nice, at least nDO, but it’s incredibly slow compared to substance. And my machine is by no means weak (i7 4930k, 32gb RAM and everything on SSDs), I’ve heard it’s pretty unusable on weaker computers.

When it comes to what they’re capable of, I would choose substance any day of the week.

dDO isn’t versatile enough, you can most of the time spot if something was made using it as they usually lack any personal style. A lot of it looks the same because of how DDO works. It’s a cheap and easy way of slapping textures on your stuff but nowhere near as powerful and versatile as substance designer/painter.

nDO is good except for being slow. I use it by the side of substance for special cases but not too much as it doesn’t have support for PBR, or at least can’t generate roughness and such maps.

I’ve used both a lot and I feel like the Quixel suite is made for programmers who which to slap some simple textures on their 3d stuff and don’t care too much about having their own style or having too much versatility for doing other stuff than the basics included.
Substance on the other hand doesn’t have any limitations anymore that I’m aware of. It provides complete artistic freedom and supports various workflows and is by far the better product, well worth the higher price.

Okay, I will definitely look into it, The indie licence is affordable - but the database of textures unfortunately costs 1.5k - which is outside my budget.

Also, what about other services, like gametextures.com? Any experience with them? $30 / month for a lot of textures…

Bettwe still, what about substance painter WITH game textures textures? More cost effective than Substance + their own textures?

It totally depends on your workflow.
I never used any of substances pre-made materials. Only opened the free samples just to get an idea of how they were made.
People speak well of gametextures.com I haven’t used them other than checked out the free samples so I can’t say much.

Personally I would never use pre-made materials though.
When your project use too much pre-made materials and other visuals you loose any unique style you might want.
Íf you use gametextures.com you can be more or less sure that a ton of other smaller games will be using the exact same stuff.
Personally I would not want to find another game using the exact same visuals.
I think a better approach is using a texture service that supply photo sources(such as www.cgtextures.com) for you to make your own materials from.
That way you can easily create most materials you need without going so far as to walking out with a camera first. But still more naturally be able to give your own touch to them.
Even better is making textures entirely from scratch in substance designer(or other softwares such as Zbrush), which is where it truly shines. It’s a bit time consuming though.

Actually the quixel suite is not really cheaper for indies than substnace painter, and SP is much more powerfull in my opinion.
When buying quixel you have to keep in mind that you need photoshop and the current version DDO is full of bugs. Take a look at
polycount forum, a lot of people are really unhappy with quixel, the support is also not that good. .I guess they are busy with the megascans.
And on the other site allegorythmic support is really good and they apps are like bug free…

I disagree with you on that. It is very quick and easy just to slap textures onto a model and get acceptable results that look like DDO presets, but if you spend more than 15 minutes on something, it’s really easy to get more unique and more personalized results. I feel like you can get an “acceptable” model done quicker with DDO than Substance Painter/Designer, unless you create a lot of reusable substances. But if you are just comparing out of the box software, DDO has an edge there to me.

I feel like any artist should definitely use and try both, I really like the amount of preset content in DDO, I wish Substance Designer had that much content, I want to start with accurate PBR materials and not have to look up values outside of my texturing application. I did make a Substance where I could select various PBR materials from a drop down list, but it was a lot of extra work, and still not as much as DDO has.

Alot of really happy customers on the substance painter side of this - Looks like I might go for a mix of the following in my stack :

Substance painter indie licence
Game textures subscription (To get some already made pbr textures without having to reinvent the wheel)

• Custom textures (to try and keep some personal touches in my game)

Seems like a fairly good way to go about it, right?

Sounds good to me!

Sitrec is a dummy. Substance painter is overly complicated. Quixel makes the most sense; especially now with 2.0. Substance Designer is pointless. UE4 material editor does all the same stuff.

Surely you must be joking? UE4 material editor and Substance Designer are two vastly different things. You don’t use the material editor to make textures and you don’t use substance to make shaders. Following that reasoning we don’t need Quixel either then since Ue4 Material Editor is all we need. Cheers!

If Substance Painter is too complicated, then game development might not be the right thing for you. Also Quixel Suite 2.0 isn’t even out yet, way to jump the gun saying it will replace everything else after only seeing a trailer.

I don’t mind Quixel at all, I use their products regularly but prefer painter to DDO, but please come with some arguments that make at least a tiny bit of sense next time.

Also way to start arguing with a post that was posted half a year ago!

Ye-es. strokes chin Trying to pick a fight with Sitrec (of all people) isn’t the best way to start out. And Designer has it’s place in Unreal dev, depending on what you want to do with it.

And Substance has a fantastic license agreement. I wish more companies would follow suit.

So if NeoFur is no longer available to download or even buy full version of Unreal Engine 4 tool how to generate/make lapine fur texture in Unreal Editor 4 without Quixel and without Blender?