Quixel Bridge (Internal UE5) Crashes when trying to add to project

Hello all!

I have only just hit this issue. Right when I do not need it at all!

When using Quixel Bridge, it causes a crash when trying to add any of my downloaded assets.

Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\Templates\Casts.cpp] [Line: 10] Cast of nullptr to MaterialInterface failed

UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_MegascansPlugin
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

This is seemingly only happening after the latest update. So I guess its a case of waiting weeks before a fix? Or is it something on my end that im doing wrong?

All the best,

M

4 Likes

Same Issue here. But this issue only started after I have installed the update to Quixel Bridge plugin and Updating to UE5 5.0.3. I am not sure if that had anything to do with it, But everything worked fine before updating those. Frustrating.
I have also noticed, that it only crashes in a certain project. I have tried exporting into ue5 with Quixel Bridge in a different project entirely and it worked flawlessly. Double frustrating.

Yeah, its frustrating. I have resorted to having a ‘Exporting’ project just so I can get Quixel stuff in there then I can drag the files manually in the explorer. I’ve found that migration has issues to so I opted for manual transfer.

One additional thing I had to do for it to work properly was to close all projects>copy the MSPresets folder and its content from the fresh ‘Exporting’ project and replace the MSPresets folder in the seemingly broken project. That way the assets materials work correctly when dragged in. The update seems to have fried loads of the material masters in there for me.

But yeah it seems its just broken some files/connections in previous projects. So if we have to basically make a new project with each update of Bridge/UE5 then it defeats the point of having the inbuilt Bridge.

1 Like

Same issue here. Still no fix?

I think I’ve found a fix:

Go to project settings > Engine > Virtual Textures and uncheck ‘Enable virtual texture on texture import’.

12 Likes

This worked for me as well. Really a bummer when an update to something like the Quixel plugin poops the bed.

Thanks for that! Ill give that a go when im next on it! Ill make it the current solution though :slight_smile:

Same issue here. Will try the fix tonight, but I’ve also noticed that this only occurs with some assets…most seem to be fine. Has anyone submitted a formal bug report for this (unsure honestly whether that would even go the UE or Quixel’s webpage)

You’re a godsend @sheedipants !!! Thank you for that tip. Enabling the web browser and web authentication plugins did nothing and I was afraid nothing was going to fix it.

Thanks, that worked for me as well.

I am having this exact same issue. However, unchecking that box is not working. I do have the plug ins described as well. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Helped me too. Thank you!

Same issue here too (5.0.3 and just installed the latest Quixel update), not sure if that’s what caused the glitch, but turning off VTs on import fixed the crash for me too. Thanks!

Kinda seems weird that Quixel does VTs on import anyways? I wish that was an on-plugin setting we could just, disable, since it makes little sense for a wide swathe of Quixel asset use cases. Especially when you aren’t running the ultra high res versions.

Hi, have you found a solution mate?

worked for me, Thank you. I had the same issue

This solution fixed mine. 5.3

Tried your solution, but it still crashed when dragging from bridge into scene.