Quixel Bridge - can I use commercially?

So, because I have an epic store account, and use unreal engine - it allows me to use Quixel Bridge for free… but i’m confused if I can use these assets in my project, which will be a commercial project… does anyone know? Quixel Bridge doesn’t have any support I can find to ask them

Hey there @drewjohnson71! So under the Unreal Engine Quixel license, as long as it’s use falls within UE’s content EULA, you are good commercially. So the short answer is yes as long as you aren’t using them outside of Unreal. The long answer would be to make sure everything is good with the content EULA.

Unlimited Megascans access for Unreal Engine based products: Just sign in with your Epic Games account to get unlimited access to the Megascans library. This Megascans access is licensed for use with Unreal Engine only and treats Megascans assets as UE-Only Content under the Epic Games Content License Agreement.

Quote taken from here

1 Like

thanks great! So packaged assest used within the game good! Can’t sell/use outside of the engine - makes sense, apprecaite it & great assets!

Okay i am a little slow, does this mean that if you are doing a game design, as long as the asset was never edited outisde of the engine, you can retail the game say on steam? If yes, if you tie it into a server using amazon to host, or contract with a server company for peer rentals, it is still good to go?

Hey there @Da_DiYu! Welcome to the community! You can modify them, however the end product needs to be based in Unreal. So for example, if you got some trees from Quixel that you wanted to modify, you could go ahead and import them to blender, make your changes and export them back out to be put in your commercial Unreal game/movie. However you couldn’t then sell those assets themselves anywhere, upload them for anyone outside of your team to use, or use them in any other engine. Does that make sense?

1 Like

Then what is this i found on quixel website the link is the following and the picture of that page.

Can I use Free Assets commercially?

1 Like

Hey there, that is in reference to trial licenses which were previously there so users could test the product and assets before subscribing, the unreal license is a bit different as it’s basically a tier of the paid licenses. In this case, you do have an active Megascan subscription.

Oh! Thanks for confirming it

Could I follow up on this question. I work in advertising and create a lot of paid social media videos. If I’m exporting image sequences out of the sequencer, but my final export for my project is an MP4 compiled in After Effects/ Premiere, am I allowed to use Quixel bridge content for that project?

1 Like

The EULA itself doesn’t delve directly into the final product being affected by any form of processing such as editing, though due to the nature of any rendered video always requiring editing the spirit of the EULA seems to view rendered video as “Final” in terms of royalties, so it wouldn’t make as much sense to disallow editing of renders though I am not a lawyer and also do not represent Epic Games legally as a disclaimer. Since the EULA was written before Quixel’s acquisition, it does seem slightly blurry there so I understand the question, as always I say to make sure to use a lawyer’s interpretation on the terms.

Here’s some of the relevant section in the EULA when it comes to renders, though it pertains to royalties more so than content rights. It goes a bit deeper into content rights below there as well.

i. Non-Engine Products (e.g., Rendered Video Files)
You will not owe us any royalty payments for Distributing Products that (i) do not include any Engine Code, (ii) do not require any Engine Code to run and (iii) do not include Starter Content in source format (“Non-Engine Products ”) to any person or entity.
This means, for example, you will not owe us royalties for Distributing:
rendered video files (e.g., broadcast or streamed video files, cartoons, movies, or images) created using the Engine Code (even if the video files include Starter Content) or
asset files, such as character models and animations, other than Starter Content, that you developed using the Engine Code, including in Products that use or rely on other video game engines.

1 Like