Quixel assets usage after Fab announcement

After the announcement of Fab, there were several questions about the Quixel content:

• If I downloaded a megascan asset and then deleted it, will I still own it?
  • Will I be able to download it and use it for free after the update with the transfer to fab?
  • Will quixel assets become paid for all Unreal games?

You should still have access to the Megascan via Bridge or Quixel.com, so you can download it anew.

If you acquired something prior to the launch of Fab, you will be able to access it via Quixel.com or Bridge. If you acquired it under a subscription that you were paying for, you will also be able to find it in your Fab library once Fab has launched.

Starting in 2025, we will begin charging for Quixel Megascans. We will continue to offer some assets for free.

Two questions if I may;

1. Will we have to pay for newly added assets in 2025 only (meshes + materials) OR also for all current Quixel assets as well?
  2. Will there be an option to try out assets (meshes and/or materials) before buying? The preview window in Quixel is nice but many times, after applying the asset to the project it turns out it doesn’t match as good as expected so you try another one and another one until you find the right one.
2 Likes

If you acquired something prior to the launch of Fab, you will be able to access it via Quixel.com or Bridge. If you acquired it under a subscription that you were paying for, you will also be able to find it in your Fab library once Fab has launched.

This isnt clear sorry, in the second part you say “you will ALSO” - but please clarify, quixel.com or bridge will not be Fab Library right? Meaning that any assets we acquire prior to Fab launch wont transfer on its own to Fab Library and instead we need to re-acquire them before end 2025 and after Fab launch?

Correct. Quixel.com and Bridge are one library and Fab is another library. So if you want assets that you have acquired to be in both places (and they haven’t already magically appeared in your Fab library), once Fab launches you can just click the “Add to Library” button on any of the Megascans assets that you want. And, as you point out, you would need to do it after Fab launches and before the end of the year.

1 Like

Current and new. There will still be some free Megascans, though, as well as Fab’s larger library of free content by other talented creators.

We will not have pre-purchase trials for Megascans. The 3D viewer will allow you to inspect the assets a bit more, but I recognize that that’s not the same thing as actually trying an asset out in your project.

1 Like

I think the pricing model, with users paying for individual models & packs, might be hindering Quixel’s versatility here. Perhaps a montly subscription might offer more flexibility for artists. And I know an affordable option for non-commercial work would be welcomed by the UE community.

Dear Epic,

This message is by no means designed to insult Epic Games and/or any programs descending from them or any employees who may work there. But as an Indie Dev who has big dreams of working on big projects, this news comes at a time as bad as any. This change where we now have to pay for something I was under the impression of that would remain free (pardon my misunderstanding of the phrasing but it comes as misleading especially since these programs are all intertwined).

Unreal Engine will remain free to use for students, educators, hobbyists, and companies generating less than $1 million in annual gross revenue. We are not changing our licensing model for game developers, who will continue to pay a 5% royalty on products that exceed $1 million in lifetime gross revenue. The first $1 million that a game generates is exempt from royalties, and revenue earned through the Epic Games Store is exempt from overall royalty calculations, just as it is today.

Announcement Letter

Now I am aware it never says anything about Quixel or “Fab” but it feels very misleading considering it says not changing the licensing model for game developers, which was very reassuring for an indie developer such as myself knowing that I wouldn’t have to pass up hundreds to make a game I wanted.

So, I ask why this change has been made? And why there are no alternate plans for small dev studios and solo developers, and if there are, what are they?
Paying for this seems to break up the whole point for programmers who can’t build models such as myself and can’t afford to buy them. Would this not be better fit to be free for indie developers to encourage people to work on your platform who can’t afford expensive programs? And why not just make future assets cost money, not existing? I simply ask that you provide us with more elaborate details and possible pricing plans.

I write this letter to you with my sincerest regards. Please consider my request. Thank you.

1 Like