Download

Quick question about creating my own content.

So I been using UE4 for about 5 days now.

I been watching any tutorial I can find on YouTube and want to start building something. I was told not to use BSPs to build my game as they are considered temporary and I should design everything and import it into UE.

With that being said, what are my options for building? I need houses, buildings, people, possibly vehicles, generic items. About the only thing I can find on google is a generic box some guy made in blender and wants $20 for it.

Is blender a viable option to create decent models to import into UE? Or is there better options to use?

I really don’t wanna create a game that looks like DayZ where over 80% of the buildings was just basic models that you couldn’t even open a door. If I create a game with buildings/houses I want every single one of them to be enterable, even if I do copy/paste the same building/house a few times I just want all of my buildings in the game enterable.

So would I have to design the inside of the house in blender, then build a door in blender and import the house and door into blender then attach the door to the house inside UE to make it open/close?

You’re going to have to spend a while learning 3D and working with UE4 before you can try to do something like that. You don’t see games that do that type of thing because it’s a technical problem, but you’re way far off from even trying to do that anyways.

Blender is a perfectly good piece of software for you to start working with. It’s free, and you can definitely do what you need to with it to be able to make things for UE4. Also, if you are a student you can get a student license of 3ds Max and Maya for free which are similar types of software but are the programs that most game studios use when developing games.

I grabbed the 3 year free Maya and guess I’m gonna dive into that world alongside UE4 and see where I end up.

Good luck Echosyp! Keep at it.

For buildings you would want to create modular house pieces, for example you want to be able to move an object 5-10 spaces at a time and have one wall match up perfectly with the other wall without there being any gaps between them. Create multiple wall, window, roof, floor, and door meshes to start and make sure theyre the same general size. Doing it this way you can create a very diverse set of houses by putting them together piece by piece and swapping materials to give it a unique look. Keep your vertices as low as possible, the lower vert count the better performance, but make it too low and it’ll look low quality, which is okay for top down/third person, but not so much for first person.

Substance designer is a great program for creating custom textures and if you use their substance live you can pay $20 a month for it, substance painter, and have access to their material library, eventually owning the program.

If you don’t want a modular setup sketchup pro is a great program for popping out quick effective models and especially handy for creating whole buildings fast.

Makehuman is a great free program for a starting platform for characters, I personally would make my base character with that, save it as an obj. And import it to blender as blender has a really good sculpting tool to add more definition. From there import it to substance painter to create a skin texture for it, then you would rig it (epic skeleton is best, but others can be used)

Unreal has lots of free resources for games too, here’s a forum with free community assets you can use

It takes a lot of trial and error so dont expect anything right away, but failing a few times is how you learn to succeed :slight_smile:

^Don’t worry about that stuff until you know how to model a house in the first place

Echo,

Study other projects in UE4 and even UDK to get a feel for modular models as Transcendence talks about. They will help you to understand the method of turning parts into buildings. Houses do get a bit more complex than sort of generically created buildings where walls and floors can be swapped out. An industrial building for instance is more generic, but a little house that you want to make out of modular parts means making the walls separate so you can reuse them and reconfigure them into different shapes, and this gets more complicated.

I would start with making a simple house in software like Maya, you can work in feet (not inches) and export as Centimeters (found under preferences > settings). UE4 expects centimeters.

All of this is complex. The reason that games like DayZ make choices about what you interact with or not, is that all of that takes work, and puts pressure on the game engine too. So a room with all dynamic objects, or objects that are hinged means someone has to set that up doing props and set dressing essentially. The doors and movable windows all have to come from a library that is hinged and ready to go. This all means modeling, texturing, testing dynamics or animating manually. This might mean thousands of objects are modeled, textured, tested, lit, animated, and developed over time to develop a library of parts that you use to make your game.

If you are someone who is curious about game making, and critical of games like DayZ, It’s not a bad thing to experience exactly what goes into making a game and why it is complex, often requires huge amounts of time, knowledge and creativity, and endless reserves of tolerance and patience. This is why companies that make games like Halo and GTA spend many millions of dollars and have huge teams to develop the art, the scripts, the animated cut scenes and animated people etc.

So look at games in UE4 and the content samples. Study how they are put together. Read articles on Modular building. Start to develop a texture library, and start learning to model a little bit at a time in software like Maya, as you develop your knowledge of UE4 at the same time. It will start to come together a little at time.

Appreciate the response, ever since I started doing stuff in UE it does change how I look at the games I play and I do understand that the DayZ team might not of had millions to make a perfectly polished realistic game that people expect every developer to deliver upon release.

I did get maya last night and started looking at some tutorials on youtube and will continue to explore Maya and UE, as I’ve pretty much gave up on playing games at the moment and moved more towards the learning aspect. I guess the first thing when I started watching some tutorials on youtube I noticed they would just build levels out of the BSPs in UE and throw materials over them to make them look realistic. I really didn’t consider having to make a house inside Maya, make each door and every window and every wall then import it into UE to make it all work.