Quick Dev Tips #20 Optimising: Dump Ticks - (Fast bite-sized UE4 / UE5 Tips & Tricks)

#20 Optimising: Dump Ticks

Did you know that you can use the dumpticks console command to generate a list of all the objects that are ticking in your level?

This is something I run periodically to check if anything has slipped into the project that is slowing things down.
When you run the console command dumpticks it will kick out a list of all the things in your level that are ticking (to your output log or log in a cooked build). You can then go through and look for things that seem out of place; e.g assets you didn’t expect to see or things that are being used a lot more than you initially planned. You can then action on this info by turning off tick, changing it to instead run off a custom timer, optimising the functionality tied to tick etc

If you want to learn more on how the dumpticks console command works then check out my links below:

Give me a follow on Twitter or sub on YouTube if you like what I do and want to know when I release new weekly Unreal Engine tips!

Also, if you have a quick Unreal Engine tip/trick that you like to use that I haven’t mentioned, then let me know here HERE and I’ll add it to my list of videos to make!

1 Like

I can’t open any of the links you posted

1 Like