Questions about Marketplace Licenses after move to Fab

Sorry to pester with more questions about the upcoming move to Fab - but wondering about this:

Does this mean that assets purchased through the old Marketplace will not be granted to those who already own them on their new storefront accounts when those assets are migrated? It’s not really clear if UE Vault will be part of Fab or not, but having access to current-engine versions of things you’ve bought is absolutely critical for them to be usable.

It’s a big change so it’s totally reasonable to have questions. :slight_smile: If you have purchased something on UE Marketplace, you will get any updates that are made to that product once it’s on Fab.

1 Like

Great - thanks!

Hi Abby, one follow-up question: by ‘purchased’ do you mean any assets (free or paid for) that appear in one’s UE Vault? Or only assets that we actually acquired in the storefront through a monetary purchase? I really do hope everything eventually does transfer over as I’d hate to lose access to many of the “building blocks” that I use regularly.

Thanks for your help!

That’s great, thanks so much. And apologies, but one more follow up:

It seems that Fab has different license tiers now which UE marketplace never did. Mostly, people bought assets via marketplace with the expectation that they would be for commercial projects (the same for extended licenses from Artstation actually), not personal use.

For those assets from Marketplace that do get updated and are available on Fab, what tier of license will people be receiving for things they owned in the past?

1 Like

Hi @skfabby ,

May I suggest that this answer be added and clarified on the press release? People are pretty widely interpreting the quoted bit as an indicator that purchases will not transfer, leading to some anger that can be avoided with clearer messaging.

It’s not entirely unjustified either, because why mention this

If you have purchased content from Unreal Engine Marketplace over the years, you will still have access to your UE Marketplace purchases through the Unreal Engine Vault.

If not to insinuate some sort of special treatment of old marketplace purchases, and people are reading more into this perceived insinuation than is stated.

For example

• Is this the only way to access old purchases? <= This is where many peoples heads are going
  • Are future fab purchases not going to show up in your vault? If not, how do you install them to particular engine versions?

For instance, this reddit thread seems to be making that interpretation. I’ve replied asking them to correct it, and linking to this thread, but it just an example of speculative concern over unclear press release. Several people in my organization have expressed concern over that interpretation as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/1fizsuk/comment/lnrmhfh/?context=3

Well, my main concern is that will Epic continue running the monthly quintet of free assests? Because an lot of those genuinely are an life an lifesaver in terms of production time and I’d hate to see the practice discontinued

They announced that they would have a similar program for free assets on FAB but did not reveal any details yet

Allegedly yes, but that is not the subject of this thread.