Questions about culling and background

Hi everyone !

I’m going to start by briefly describing my game so that you can better understand : I create a game where a ball moves on its own on floating blocks and you have to control it (left, right, jump) to avoid obstacles.

For the creation of the terrain, I made a single block and I use “HierarchicalInstancedStaticMesh” to create several copies of this block to make the ground. In order to display the terrain gradually, I put “Instance End Cull Distance” to 2000. But for the obstacles, I set “Desired Max Draw Distance” to 2000 to get the same result. (everything is in place before the start of the game)
But I’m wondering about that:

1. What’s the difference between hierchichal and the simple (component)
  2. Is the option I use to display blocks and obstacles the right one? I would like to display them at a certain distance to display only what is needed and gain in performance.
  3. Is there a way to trigger an event when a block appears? I would like to make an animation when an obstacle appears for example.

About the background, I’d like to keep an image that scrolls slightly during the race behind the floating field. So I had to create a plane with the backgruond in material that I move forward at the same time as the camera. Would there be a better way to do it?

Thank you in advance for your time :slight_smile: !