Questions about creating games with marketplace content.

So I’ve looked around a bit and I haven’t found an answer to some questions I had about things such as static meshes, characters, animations, etc…, being used in your final game. I know that if you end up charging $ for your game, I believe that Unreal gets 5% of what you charge. What about using things in your game from the marketplace? I’m completely new to all of this, but that just seems to me that it completely submerges yourself in the waters of copyright infringement.

There is some content there provided by Epic that you can download for free, and you are allowed to use that in your game without any additional cost. For the rest of the stuff that you buy from the marketplace there’s no additional cost beyond what you pay for in the marketplace.

So just to be 100% clear. If I were to download, say, a complete character, and use it in a game, as long as I paid for it on the marketplace. I can use that in my game and it’s not illegal to do. I don’t have to pay out anything other than what I paid in the marketplace? If so, that is crazy as well as awesome.

Yeah, once you pay for it you can use it in a commercial project. The pricing is such that the creator can price it low but since they can sell it multiple times . Otherwise the price ends up very high for characters when you need them custom made for your game.

I know Epic’s content on the market place requires the assets to only be used with Unreal Engine, but I do not know if that applies to anything on the store.

Only Epics free stuff is limited to UE4. The rest can be used in any “assembled” product. (You can’t sublicense the asset files for use by others.)