[Question]Where is the docs about source control(svn)?

Hello guys,

I’ve used svn for years and have tried enabled source control inside editor for a while. And I felt confused. When I pressed “checkin”, sometimes it commit changes sometimes not. The same thing happend on “checkout”, “sync”, I don’t know what they exactly mean.

As a traditional svn user, I wonder how to “update”, “commit”, “revert” and “lock”/“unlock”. Can anyone help me find docs about it?

I’m using subversion(1.9.0) and testing these by keep two editor opening on one single computer, is it why I have failed to use svn inside?

Thanks.

maybe this feature will be more available for common user in the future.

close this thread

In my experience (using SVN in UE 4.8.3), Sync is highly unreliable (doesn’t refresh assets in the editor until the editor is closed and opened again), but I never had any problems with committing my changes.

For the record, here’s a short explanation of the terms:

• Checkout = lock a file for editing
  • Checkin = Submit = commit your changes
  • Sync = update to the latest revision
  • Depot = latest revision

You can only check in (= submit/commit) files you have checked out. They’ll be marked with a red tick symbol.
I’ve been unable to release the lock on a file I checked out without either reverting or committing my changes.

We’re currently using both TortoiseSVN and the in-editor source control concurrently. We use them for different tasks, though:

TortoiseSVN:

• the initial checkout of the project
  • update to the latest revision
  • revert to previous revisions
  • view the change log of the entire project
  • view the change log of text files (C++, configs)
  • release file locks (without committing or reverting)

In-editor source control:

• checkout (lock) assets I’m working on
  • commit changes
  • view the change log of a specific Blueprint
  • view Blueprint diffs (including local changes)
  • revert my local changes on a Blueprint

I always have several checkouts of the same project lying around (usually at different revisions), so I can tell you with absolute certainty that this has never been a problem at all. However, you won’t be able to test file locks that way because your locks will always affect both repositories.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

As you’ve post, in-editor source control has certain benefits, like view BP diffs. But it still needs some works to do to get better points.