Question regarding seamless Terrains/Tiles

I finally got a hold of the kite demo to look at how they build the levels and am trying to figure out how to get each landscape tile to line up with the next in regards to individual vertices. Is there some kind of trick? Or do you have to simply export the heightmap tiles perfectly? Another question is height map and tiling. Do you have to manually separate the heightmap image into tiles in photoshop and import one tile as a terrain at a time? Or was there another way to import them into ue4 that lets you import all the heightmaps into multiple terrains at once?

The main issue I am running into using my present and least preferred method [Importing one height map at a time], is that their shape is a little off from one another. This makes texturing and decorating around their seams very difficult.

I’m basically creating my first game to be an open world, medieval exploration/adventure game where the world content is based on a lore I have been writing for about five or so years. I like to aim high and learn everything I can in the first few projects and refine it as I go rather than make a bunch if small/mini projects that explores each aspect to learn.

Bump with clarification update:
I know about the r16 importing for tiles, but don’t use world builder, nor can I afford it yet. I am also now wondering if UE4 would or could have a feature where it takes one image, then makes multiple tiles from that one image [png or something else with a more commonly used tag] to make texture and material painting nice and detail-able rather than having the vertices too split up to paint detailing on the layered terrain materials.

Basically, here’s my process…

Blender 3D Terrain generator plugin, using materials to generate height map in HD image render, minor adjustments in photoshop, then import as terrain heightmap in Unreal 4. It works perfect to get the terrain I need, but I need to split up such a massive into tiles so I can paint the materials from grass, to rocks, to snow, and dirt.

You can always segment your hight-map into 4 using Photoshop then import them as tiled hight-map using the correct naming conventions (it will tell you the right conventions before you try to import)

I tried, but…

1. Manually splitting the image up in photoshop messes with the resolution, causing some seams to show under the map.
  2. I can’t seem to import as a tiled height map unless they are R16 files, which photoshop can’t export, nor can I find a plugin that lets it.
  3. Even when I tile the hard way and use the terrain editor to fix the seams showing under the map, it’s dreadfully ugly and makes some parts of the terrain un-travel-able.

Is your original hight-map a derivative of native resolutions supported by the tile tool? Pretty sure it will up/downscale to fit if not
L3DT can convert height-maps if I’m not mistaken?

I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

I mean intead of 2048 its 2017, instead of 1024 its 1009. I think that’s how it works for UE landscape height map data

Well are you talking about Unreal’s tile tool? If so, I can’t even use it unless you’re talking about something else. I don’t know what you’re referring to for l3dt either.