Download

Question, In terms of modular building parts or as a hole single mesh for making house/buildings?

Hey all, just wanting to ask a question? I’m currently getting into making houses, buildings etc
I know having modular building parts to make a house etc is the most popular option but this also increases the draw calls or
am I better off having the house/building as one hole mesh but in multiple UV sets with some details in the mesh.

The devs say it’s better to use little more memory then draw calls but alot of ppl still use the modular option and just combine the pieces.
but little confused on how to approach this.

Any feedback on this would be grateful

If you have simple meshes in the same area that use the same material, then combine them. For things like the actual room mesh, usually you can have all of the walls of a room as one mesh and then the floor and ceiling as separate meshes. Things like props (chairs, tables, etc) should still be a separate object.

Well there is no firm rule as to optimization and the “process” of building an environment evolves more through the iteration process than it does by always sticking with the ideal of the perfect workflow technique.

Some considerations.

What the camera does not see does not get rendered so performance is based on what is being rendered per frame so the size of the object is what matters relative to screen size. So lets say your player is close to a door of a rather large building. If the building is a single object with complex shaders attached then the entire building will be rendered even though only the door is relative to screen space. In this situation it might be better to build the entire building (assuming say Blender is being used) and then instance copy common elements like windows or ledges to break things down into chunks. Now when close to the door only the door gets rendered and the rest is culled.

Draw call wise it’s less of a factor as to being up close as once again it’s about screen space rendering but back to the building example the sum total of all of the textures being used can be converted to a texture atlas so that the draw calls of the entire building can be based on the use of a single material.

For example I have a scene with about 24 buildings that are mapped to a single material using a texture atlas so no matter how many are in view at any given time the draw call is equal to the use of a single material.

So how I would approach designing a new environment from scratch is to just begin by placing objects based on my design and defer what would be consider best practice for later once the object and map get closer to completion via iteration. Once I happy with the result I’ll run a profile on the map as it’s this process that “tells” you what issues as to performance with out having to guess at what might be a common cause that does not apply. It’s also the opportunity to look at objects from different angles and make informed decisions based on what is in hand and not as being considered best practice before anything is built.

So

It’s not so much about following best practice as a workflow, as BP can only be applied in context, but rather what options are available to you that would work for any given situation based on the experience of cause and effect. :wink:

My general philosophy is “it’s always better to have too much than not enough as you can take too much and make it less where you can not always make not enough do more” ')

So always start by making what you want to see and then decided what has to happen later. :smiley:

ok so basically i should make them in modular parts and combine them, and they will share the material nodes which in turn reduces drawcalls, cause i’m making it like the sims with premade building layouts that you place but you have to build/place the other stuff within it like beds, lights etc. and have some destructible walls which can be repaired and the roof disappears when you go into the building mode and when you exit your in FP/TP player that can interact with the stuff placed. I also want to do a decay material so after few days ingame you see dirty mossy buildings, im just not sure how to do the UV’s with so many posts on UDIM, UV sets or overlapping UVs with assigned Materials it becomes overwhelming, i know how to model and do the uvs etc it’s just i’m trying to get my textures nice and high quality at 2048 texture sets instead of having a hole 4/8k textures, because i’m also thinking in terms of loading times since 4/8k takes longer to load

Tiled UV withing 0 to 1 space but then i lose texture quality

UDIM UVing but then i found out unreal doesn’t really support this, so i cant really keep drawcalls down

UV’s overlapped in 0 to 1 but assigned by Materials which then i cant apply any decay Material and increases drawcalls