Question about UE4 - Moving over from Unity Engine.

I’ve been a long time fan of the Unity Engine, but I have a friend working on a project in Unreal and I wanted to participate so here I am learning the engine. I really enjoy the visual scripting or “blueprint” functionality that Unreal provides, however the one thing that has had me at a dead halt for a few hours now (after searching through numerous tutorials, etc) was the animation.

In Unity you can animate a model inside of their engine, without the need of a 3rd party product such as Maya, 3ds, or Blender. I found their animation system very straightforward and simple and even someone that wasn’t an artist like myself could still make simple animations.

I’m currently using the starting assets to prototype in Unreal and I wanted to make a simple melee based battleground to run around and fight in. I already know how to go through and complete the combat system, combo systems, artificial intelligence, etc… but I have yet to figure out how to go about animation. Is it required that I download a 3rd party product? Are there any animation tutorials I’m missing (FOR CREATING NEW ANIMATIONS BASED ON A SKELETAL MESH) inside of unreal?

Thanks for your time guys, I’ll be sure to post what I have once I get the animation issue completed. Currently have a basic combo system (without animations) weapon sheathing, a mining and crafting system, and a skill-tree in my first day of messing with unreal. Animations have been a pain.

You can create animations inside the UE4 - double click on your skeletal mesh + click on the record button + move the bones + save it - but it’s better when you do it in a 3d program, because you will get a better result and you can do much more complex ones :slight_smile:

I’ve used Unity, as well as UE4.
For game development of more AAA games, ie FPS, TPS, RTS games, UE4 is great.
It’s animation, audio and particles components (to name a few) are top notch.
I, once, made a different sounds from one wav file via audio component.

Unity is great for casual-like, non-AAA games. I have a few on my website in the description.

IMO, Unreal is built with gameplay and game play types in mind.
Unity feels like a general engine.

The fact that everyone assumes that Unity can’t (and hasn’t) been used for AAA games really annoys me, but what would I expect to see bringing it up on a competitors discussion board. Both engines have their strong and weak points. (For instance Unreal Engine crashes constantly on both my windows and mac machines), and I have friends that use Unreal that have the same stability issues. I’m just glad Unreal is finally moving away from the “FPS Only” type of engine that it was for so long, (without engine modification that is). Most games that I see use Unreal have performance issues though, however most of them are done with Unreal 3. (Tera for instance is the biggest graphical performance ****storm I have ever seen). However many will argue that’s the developers and not the engine. I feel like it goes both ways. I’ve seen many Unity games perform poorly. I’ve seen many perform amazingly. I’ve seen unity games look better than unreal/cry engine games.

This whole comment and response was completely off-topic though.

Thanks for the information, wish there were some better tutorials for UE4. It seems like the tutorials provided by Epic aren’t even tutorials. They just give you all of the logic and then show you how to use it. It’s a shame. Some people like to know HOW things work, not how to plug in a piece to a puzzle.

Then you will have to read through the documentation :wink:
I have to agree that the tutorials are in the “do this and that” style, but I personally think that this is really good, as you have to think by your own about what and why you are doing it -> this will boost the learning curve (but of course that’s just a personal preference)

hi,

just wanted to let you know I had to edit one of the words in your post, it got past the word filter;)

now the moderator in me is happy I would like to say a couple of things about your post, so…

comparing engines can lead to improvements in UE4 which is a good thing, also engine comparisons are allowed on this forum so please feel free to do so or even request features other engines have in the “feedback for epic” section:).

I would guess one of the reasons for that could be because of how fast UE4 and its features are being developed, for example if they make a tutorial showing how something works and then something changes in the engine or they add a new feature that requires a different workflow(happens quite a lot) then the tutorial becomes out dated pretty quickly.

, I am currently working on a tutorial series to make a complete game (see my signature), and from what I’ve been told, I explain things so that even a beginner can understand. As far as the engine stability goes, I rarely encounter crashes, and when I do, it is due to a problem with my code. Perhaps it has something to do with your PC specs. As for the performance, look up some tests where people test frame rates with objects in various quantities, the high nearly always goes to the bigger engines when testing with high amounts of objects.