Question about skeletal mesh sold on the marketplace

I’ve been going over the marketplace guidelines and from what I gather, you can ONLY use the epic skeletal rig for humanoid skeletal meshes. Is this true? I have a big pack of skeletal meshes (designed to be used to build modular characters) I’d like to list, but the skeletons are designed specifically to work with mixamo animations. Part of the whole point was to put up skeletal meshes that you don’t need to buy animations for, and that you can easily add mixamo animations to (of your choosing). The pack does not come with animations itself, it’s merely rigged to work with them out of the box.

The skeletons are my own design, but the bones are named to match mixamo bones.

Would appreciate feedback.

1 Like

Quick feedback… Sympathetic to the fact, you have pre-existing work that you don’t want to lose… But, it’d be a disaster if Epic allowed multiple skeletons for humanoids and didn’t enforce the rules. Its hard enough to find a character on the Marketplace as it is, that still doesn’t require a whole of lot of added work anyway. The Mixamo animations are also not that good imho (some are pretty awful). There used to be a FREE community tool that let you try them all with the Epic Skel. And honestly you’d go right back to native anims from the Epic skel. :wink:

I kind of get it, but if they’re going to gatekeep what humanoid skeletons we have on the market, they should then offer at least a different pack of free animations. It’s unfair IMO to have a huge array of animations out there for free that are locked behind a silly rule about skeletons. People should have the option to choose what skeletons they want to use in their game.

Some of the Mixamo animations aren’t great, but many of them are just fine, and especially for low-budget indie devs they are a lifeline. It just feels like there’s no good excuse to force people to use the UE rig.

There are quite a few packs of free anims. But you’d have had to collect them all in the monthly freebies over the past 5 years. Anyway, its better that you know that there was once a free Mixamo → Epic skel anim pack. So you don’t lose a lot of time or go to a lot of work trying to list this on another marketplace. There’s still a need for more variety and more anims. So if its an area of interest, you could ask for suggestions in one of the marketplace survey threads. :wink: