Question about packaging

Ello,

I’m a bit confused about packaging projects with regard to what assets are included in the package…

I have a couple of projects which Ive used some assets from the market place in but in many case I’ve only used some of the files. I’m wondering what happens when I package the project. Does it package all of the files in the content browser or does it only package files in use? If the latter, how does the engine know which files to include in the package? If the former, is there a common best practice like copying files you use into a new folder in the project and deleting the template files before packaging?

Appreciate laying out this can of worms for me :smiley:

Thanks.

As far as I am aware it will only copy over the assets that are used or referenced in the game somewhere, such as in levels or the project settings. Anything that has not been used will not be included.

I don’t think that’s the case, at least in the feedback section of the forum people have been requesting the feature to only package content that is used in the project.

Yeah, I been watching the package output log. Appears to package everything.

I found a nice solution where you migrate your base project folder to a new blank project and it will automatically copy dependencies. Took my project down from 6gb to 400mb and about a 10 min package time :smiley:

If you set up the “List of maps to include in a packaged build” in Project Settings / Packaging, it will only cook and package the maps and assets referenced by them.

ooo Thanks much :slight_smile: