Question about new concept for a game

I would like to ask everyone/anyone!

If you have a new concept idea for an open world game, but have no experience in game building, designing or coding.

What is the best way to go about it?
What are the legal issues and is there a need for copyright applications?

I would recommend Firstly starting with a Game Template from the Marketplace that has most of the basic features you desire. Secondly, seek developers to join your project to build the unique features. Thirdly, reverse engineer the template and learn unrealengine in the process. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing with ExORION Survivor. From my experience it has been really tough to grab the attention of fellow developers with concepts that are too radical. Thus Iā€™ve been developing my game concept solo.

Hi
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate the suggestions.
I was thinking about searching for the best way to pitch the idea and concept of the game as I feel out of my depth and comfort zone just opening the unreal engine platform.
The idea and concept of the game ā€œwithout insulting Rockstarā€ would make GTAV look like Tetris on the gameboy.

I was hoping for maybe a suggestion or link of somewhere to go to pitch the idea.

Itā€™s too big and complex for me to even consider trying to make, without giving anything away or putting the idea online.
I will say that it could change gaming development and strategies, as it would never repeat its outcome or ever end.

Ah, in that case, I recommend stating ā€˜seek suggestions or links of somewhere to go to pitch the ideaā€™ in your first post. My recommendations are still applicable to pitching your idea. You pitch your idea with a working prototype. Nowadays ideas can be expressed interactively, especially with UnrealEngine.

You could most likely find the Corporate Website of these Studios you wish to pitch your idea. Keep in mind many Studios have their own Idea people and the people to make those ideas a reality. You most likely will not receive any compensation or credit,if youā€™re idea piggybacks their IP.

If your idea is that good, why not pursue it yourself?

Thatā€™s what I thought would happen.
I have been burnt in the past by saying too much online with good ideas.

I think I will write the idea and concept down with a script style story board, then seek a patent beforehand.

Thanks for the reality check, I think I needed the kick.

This one is too good to let go of, I donā€™t think I could walk away from it and let someone else take control.

:+1:

1 Like

Epic is offering huge grants, but three things about your predicament, as it is a place I know wellā€¦

1. People like ourselves often invent or develop something that others are simultaneously or have already worked on.

2a. Ideas cannot be copy-written or patented, only the execution canā€¦
2b. The copyright / patent office is more corrupt than Epsteinā€™s Island.

1. Nothing is more dangerous than a good idea. Anyone can see a bad idea from a mile away. Good ideas are the ones that lure you in with promises of wealth beyond you wildest dreams, with just a little more investmentā€¦

but you already know all this, so Iā€™ll share another gemā€¦

Iā€™m in the same boat and willing to lay it all on the line - go all in - as it wereā€¦

Alfa Channel presents ā€œThe Great Workā€ a serialized action adventure game where Valkyrie recruit famous warriors from throughout history to help stop a Coven and Vampire Cabal from opening our plane to Cthulhu, Yog Shoggoth and the Eldritch Horrors. Youā€™re a new Valkyrie on a Mission from God to stop the Destruction of the Galaxyā€¦ and yes, it never ends. Like Dr. Who, only with Angels against Warp Demons; somewhere between here and Warhammer. We have a Hoverboard in an anti-gravity city, a dynamic Portal-Based Inventory System - and an Online Multiplayer lounge where players can hang out, swap war stories, show off trophies, gamble and most importantly Exit Through the Gift Shop. We have two novels - already up on youtube as audiobooks, a comic book - and will offer featured merchandise for each episode. A lot of stuff is centered hereā€¦ www.AshleyFox.Ninja

Hereā€™s a hoverboarding demoā€¦ Angel City Sky Dancer - YouTube
Hereā€™s the novelsā€¦ Legacy of a Mad Scientist & The Legend of Ashley Fox - YouTube

Iā€™m not saying any of this to show off or flex. Most of my work is amateur tier. My goal is to encourage you to take a risk by exposing my own plans. Of course, weā€™ve got lots more lined up, but right now, itā€™s one step at a time.

In the mean time, get to know every asset in the marketplace and start reaching out to people who have already created something along the lines of what you are looking for.

Everyone has ideas but few people the knowledge to do it. Iā€™ve seen enough not to trust people, posting your idea or prototype somewhere gets it stolen. Do it yourself or set up proper contracts, donā€™t share too much online.

1 Like

JCarrick and Roy Wierer
Thank you for the replies.

I appreciate the feedback.

I would like to say that what I am thinking of has never been done. The concept would change everything.
As far as becoming rich from it, thatā€™s not my goal.

My goal would be to create something that people canā€™t stop playing, talk about it but refuse to discuss there own progress.

This is something thatā€™s not only going to change gaming, but change the way gamers interact with each other online.

With the patent side of things, any idea can be copyrighted as long as your clear about what it is your protecting.

Ideas canā€™t be copyrighted at all. Even if your game turns out to be amazing, anyone can come along and basically clone the idea, and make their own copycat and directly compete with you.

Try and pay for an IRL meeting with a lawyer who can advise. As you may not like it, but the reality is your idea may not be that special or that original or that unique at all. Just reality. If so, donā€™t take it too hard. :wink: And if it is a killer, then celebrate as thatā€™s like winning the lottery. :rofl:

1 Like

Even when illegal, china does not care. Beyond app clones you have everything from car clones to gift shop clones.

1 Like

As far as I have researched.
A copyright can be used to protect the storyboard of the concept, under the category ofā€¦.

ā€œ * original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic work, including illustration and photography

• original non-literary written work, such as software, web content and databases
  • sound and music recordings
  • film and television recordings
  • broadcasts
  • the layout of published editions of written, dramatic and musical worksā€

So if the concept and idea is published as a storyline in the presentation of a storyboard, then it can be protected.

But I do hear what youā€™re saying, when a country doesnā€™t have copyright laws in the country like China/Russia then protecting from copy-cat is a nightmare.

Protecting is always a nightmare. You can throw money at services to give you extra protection in case there is going to be a legal nightmare. There are even services which claim damages for you if they crawl your stolen work on the webs. But if anyone operates in middle of nowhere desert land on some server in some country, itā€™s just not going to be taken down for devs like us. If someone decides to clone your gift shop there and ship in the millions then thatā€™s that usuallyā€¦ Itā€™s also a sad fact that certain countries are known for this and that there are plenty of apps to connect for example the netherlands to china so people can buy clones here at questionable quality but 1%-10% the original price. Your question is not about a physical product but the same concept applies for ideas. People smell money from half the world away and will take it from you. Keep it close.

After you are done with the concept and have a product to sell, you face the same question for the application but different laws will apply too. There can be copycat applications and it can be pirated. Makes me ashamed to be human. It is very very difficult to make proper sales in the game development world and you will face the same danger with random people, marketplaces, even customers. Just be cautious and try to have fun, donā€™t spend all your money in the hopes one app will get it back for you.

Hmmmā€¦ I donā€™t really have much to add here, other than Iā€™m glad I took a look down the rabbit hole! Itā€™s nice to know that there are others in the same boat, but whatā€™s really interesting to me are the ways that different people tackle the subject.

Iā€™ve been around long enough to understand that this world can be tough and unforgiving. Create and live like you mean it, but by all means make sure to protect your interests. Eventually you will have to share your ideas with the world if you ever want to be seen or taken seriouslyā€¦ otherwise it will remain a hobby just for yourself and in the end may wind up being an opportunity missed.

Creating something and then making a presence, whether on YT or some other platform, that showcases your work is probably the best that a solo or indie can do in terms of protection and thatā€™s exactly what it looks like youā€™re doing. Iā€™m a fan and will be following suit as time allows. Keep it up!

2 Likes

Thank you XRayGunner - We live for this and hope to make such a big splash everyone gets wet!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.