Download

Question about AI, pawn, blackboard, etc

Hello everyone!

Last year I created a little demo for a school assignment. A turn based strategy fight.(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15Vdg1DLF8)
Now I want to do something similar but more polished and maybe release it as a game.

For my BP’s I try to think ahead of things I might need to add in the future before just diving into creating gameplay stuff. So I can avoid having to rewrite code… (which happened a lot last time)

Last time I created a super simple AI logic in my BP that just checks if it’s the players turn or the AI’s and then do some checks.

However now I’m looking into blackboards and behavior trees. It looks all very complex.
My question now is, my game which is turn based, doesn’t use the navmesh but tile based movement and where enemies don’t need to react in realtime. Is it good to use blackboards and behavior trees?
Or can I put all this logic in my UnitManager BP for example?
Also, I’m considering to use pawns instead of characters, as I don’t see much advantage of the character motor-thing component and it makes thing a bit cluttered and confusing for me.

If some of you can help me in which direction I should go I would appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I wouldn’t be using blackboard/behavior tree if it’s turn-based. They seem to benefit you much more in a real-time environment.

That’s what I thought. Thanks for replying :slight_smile:

If you want to hear from someone who has done something similar, in the advanced turn based tile toolkit I’ve used pawns for units and AI behavior is controlled by the event graph of the AI controller. I have not felt any need to use neither blackboards nor characters.

Ah cool, thanks for the reply!
Yeah, I currently use the character but the movement is too unpredicted and they start randomly rotating. I’ll change it to a pawn and put the AI logic in a BP :smiley:
Thanks!

Don’t mention it, and good luck going forward! Let me know if you get stuck with anything and I’ll do my best to help :slight_smile: