Queen - Short Cinematic

Hi everyone,

I hope you are doing great :slight_smile:
Today I’m sharing with you my early journey into Unreal Engine and the making of cinematics ! Looking forward to keep learning and push my skill even further for each new project.

Even though I know there are many flaws to spot, any feedback is welcome to get better.
Cheers!

31 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Congratulations. A very good cinematic

4 Likes

Greetings @EdwinSeigneur !

I thoroughly enjoyed your cinematic! The scene that stood out to me was at 0:17 with the slow dolly shot through the forest trees, with the bluish light creating a silhouette of Queen in the middle of the clearing. Additionally, the fluidity of the following shot of Queen riding on the dragon is also memorable and noteworthy. It’s as if we are watching the intro after first starting a game of epic proportions!

Is this the first film of a series? I’m intrigued by Queen’s story and am eager to learn more! What challenges did you face when creating your cinematic? What flaws did you spot on your own? What do you feel could be improved?

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words @alerender and @Get_DOVAH_it.

Is this the first film of a series?

Unfortunately, this was a one try short cinematic. The message behind it is simple and my purpose was to learn as many essential skill I could in Unreal Engine.
However, the next project will try to use new techniques and might be completely different!

What challenges did you face when creating your cinematic?

So much ! I don’t have a 3D background so I pretty much had to watch a tutoriel for every single use of a button ; alongside a hundred hours of course around light, real-time cinematography and unreal engine. Many hours of pure joy when you realize the power of Unreal ! The amount of learning resources available to us is extraordinary.

What flaws did you spot on your own?

The lighting is so-so and the camera flow is okay-ish - although far from bad
The world building part is very easy to get into, yet hard to master indeed!
A video is always abandoned voluntarily, never finished :wink:

What do you feel could be improved?

Specifically my scene optimization as it was sometimes extremelly hard to run real-time and work with it. I just recently discovered the use of LODs and world settings, which will become handy!
Moreover, the variety of content would benefit a lot to the rythm. I used simple animations and the action is almost non-existent with 1 character. A fighting scene might be a wonderful challenge to tackle !

3 Likes

Hey there @EdwinSeigneur,

Seeing this isn’t a series broke my heart. The cinematic got me hooked immediately - guess that’s a show of how great of a job you did! Out of curiosity, did you take some inspiration from Black Deserts Guardian class? The appearance is so similar and it’s beautiful :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your art and giving us a stunning cinematic!

2 Likes

Stunning!

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, did you take some inspiration from Black Deserts Guardian class? The appearance is so similar and it’s beautiful :slight_smile:

Thank you for the kind words.
I’ve used Terra from the Unreal Engine Paragon heroes :wink: She felt perfect for this short cinematic.

3 Likes

Great job! The only thing you need to change the render settings so that the clothes of the heroes do not waver

2 Likes

Oh wow! She was definitely perfect. Added a very strong feminine energy that matched the voiceover for sure :slight_smile:

This looks so cool! Where did you learn to do the cinematics? I also downloaded the Paragon characters as well. I am using them in a turn based RPG game. I only have the idle animations for the characters down. I struggle with Animation and cinematics though so seeing this gives me hope. Keep up the good work! Excited to see what new things you are working on.

Am in Full Sail school class in Game Art … so anyway it look great but the animation in the face look dead so you need to make face impressions but every thing else is great keep it up and thanks for hearing me

1 Like

Always love a great cinematic. great job learning the engine

1 Like

What courses did you use to learn how to do this? It came out amazing!

1 Like

The camera shots and angles used in this cinematic are wonderful. I don’t know much about cinematic shots, but you really did a great job of introducing your character visually. I really enjoyed the dialogue as well.

1 Like

Edwin the Paragon characters are the best asset available in the marketplace. I use them for everything when it comes to projects like these. My only suggestion would be maybe next time swap out the Paragon Head for a Metahuman and Kitbash the armor.

My favorite shot is the closing shot with the narrative ‘…and yet I am so much more’ You killed this.

1 Like

Your work is amazing :heart_eyes_cat: very impressive :clap::clap::clap::heartbeat:

2 Likes

Amazing!

1 Like

Very cool. Keep at it :slight_smile:

1 Like

How did you make the armor for your character

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the amazing support. I’m really glad you enjoyed this small sequence :slight_smile: Your kind words always touch.

What courses did you use to learn how to do this? It came out amazing!

This looks so cool! Where did you learn to do the cinematics?

Quite a lot of technical courses were watched, anything I could find on the web ! Half were paid courses, half were single tutorial found on Youtube that would answer one problematic. It is difficult to recommend 1 course since they were complementary to each other.
Topics were mostly : Lighting, Camera, Sequencer, UE4 basics, animation.

The last component is a lot of patience and tweaking around. Some shots didn’t make the final cut but they allowed me to learn a lot by trial and error.

My only suggestion would be maybe next time swap out the Paragon Head for a Metahuman and Kitbash the armor.

True! That would absolutely make it better and feel more emotionnal connection toward the character.

How did you make the armor for your character

It is Terra from the Paragon characters. You can find it for free on the UE Marketplace :slight_smile: