Download

Quaternion based rotation of Controller component

Hi all,

My goal is to allow the rotation of my Actor, Camera and Controller to any surface using an impact normal for calculations. I want to make a game where the character is free to traverse any surface, as long as a trigger box allows it. In other words, I have no need for defensive navigation components that the character movement component class implements in its default walking mode. I have overridden the flying mode of the character movement component, as I couldn’t dig down deep enough to disable the traversable slope angle restrictions. So far, it’s working well. I have my character rotating to match any surface without problem using quaternion calculations, as well as the proper movement directions based on the character’s rotation about a surface.

However, I would like to preserve the concept of the controller/camera yaw. I am a beginner in these concepts, but I realize there is no default concept of yaw in quaternion representation. It seems like the controller component does not have an overloaded method for SetControlRotation() that accepts a quaternion for rotation. If I override the controller class like I did the character movement component, how can I achieve this? If I understand how quaternion rotations are done, I would fundamentally be looking at a rotation of X degrees around the actor’s “up” vector to get a similar effect to yaw rotation.

Would this work? If not, any assistance with the math concepts would be appreciated.

You can get a rotator from a quaternion.

FRotator Rot = Quat.Rotator();

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/API/Runtime/Core/Math/FQuat/index.html

Hi neo, thanks for the reply.

I want to avoid Gimbal lock. I know that you can convert between FQuat and FRotator very easily, but I want unrestricted rotation for my character. If I’m not mistaken, converting it back to a FRotator leaves the potential for Gimbal lock.