Qibo's Alembic GeometryCache series plugins: Collision, Attachment, etc

I am developing a series of alembic plugins.

The first one is Alembic Collision.

Build simple or complex collisions for Alembic GeometryCache animation, and the collision can be updated when the animation is playing.

The second one is Alembic Attachment.

Attach elements to the surface of the Alembic GeometryCache animation.

The third one is Alembic Decal, which wraps objects to some areas of the alembic mesh.

The fourth one will be Alembic Deformer, which will add some deform functions for Alembic mesh.

This one is still in development.

If you have any good ideas about my plugins or Alembic animations, please leave me a message!

I just bought this plugin for my project, Im using a mechanic stair and i have an issue when the character gets in the stairs. Stairs are animated, but the character is not moving with them.

Donā€™t worry, I will help you~ I already replied to you on Youtube.

1 Like

Hello! Amazing plugin! I bought it and it works great! Thanks a lot!

I have one question) I want to use alembic groom with alembic geometry cache. I can create bind, but when I tried to enable collisions for groom it doesnā€™t work with any colliders except physical asset. But I canā€™t create physical asset for alembic geo cache. (asset based on skeletal mesh, unfortunately). Could you help me with my problem, please.

Thank you!

Helloļ¼Œ although Groom can be imported into Unreal with Alembic format, it is totally different from Alembic GeometryCache after it is imported. It has its own workflow and simulation system.

The Alembic Collision plugin can not generate collisions for Groom. If I misunderstood your problem, you can send me an email to show me more details, contact me at 395402864@qq.com

I have a blueprint that has multiple Alembics in it, which play in a sequence when an event is fired. Can this be used on multiple alembics at once, or at least select which alembic is used for the instance of the component? I tried making multiple components and parenting to them in the outliner but they all grabbed random alembic.

The plugin only worked for one Alembic component, I did not try it on multiple Alembic components at the same time.

I accept your advice, I can make an interface so that you can select active alembic. The update in the marketplace will be slow, you can contact me for the code by my email.

1 Like

Hi, I bought and installed the plugin into my 5.2 Engine. But in the Editor there is no GeometryCacheAttachment component showing when Iā€™m trying to add it to my Alembic Cache. What do I do wrong?

Please make sure that the plugin is enabled in your project. You can check it in ā€œEdit->Pluginsā€.

Then you can add the plugin like the below:

Now, the Alembic Decal plugin is published~

1 Like

Hi, I am Ruipeng. I am searching for collaboration with you because right now, Iā€™m working on a project (a research project in a US school, and our tutor is very interested in your tool and wants to collaborate to do more fun stuff) that needs to fully use your Plugin, the function of Alembic GeometryCache Collision, Attachment, and maybe new features.
Here is my email: ruipwan@outlook.com and my WeChat account is riple0470. Thanks for considering our request.

Hi thereā€¦ sorry to disturb but i did purchase the plugin but canā€™t manage to use it regarding actual tutorials. Iā€™m running 5.3.2 and the purpose is to make some GeometryCache Alembic files of animated animals collide with Niagara Water.

If someone could make a short understandable tutorial regarding actual UE version, it would be very much appreciatedā€¦ thx in advance :slight_smile:

Hello, if you want to collide with Niagara systems, your Niagara systems should have CPU collision enabled. So please make sure your Niagara water can collide with Static Mesh first.

If you still get problems, you can send me a simple project for test~ Thanks~

Thank you for caring :slight_smile:
Actually, iā€™m just testing with a Niagara template 3D pool : all needed plugins are enabled and the collision is working with standard StaticMesh + ā€œcolliderā€ Tag
My main trouble (a newbie oneā€¦ sorry) is to understand how to assign the GeometryCacheAbc component to my GeometryCache Animated actorā€¦
I did select it in the outliner / Add the componant in the Detail panel / Load the .abc file in the component field assigning it the correct frame range and position to match the .abc one : they are both visible on the scene and overlapping perfectly
The only way i found to match the animation was to drop the GeometryCacheAbcfile into the Sequencer
i did add a ā€œcolliderā€ tag to the component too
but no interaction with the Niagara water plying the Sequencer or playing in Game Mode
ā€¦ i clearly missed something (iā€™m still learning Unrealā€¦) but the actual documentation and tutorial are showing things i canā€™t find in 5.3.2 :-/

Hello, first off this is great, thank you,
My question is, my alembic collision works when its set to run and loop etc but as soon as i manually change the geometry cache ā€˜start time offsetā€™ the collision does not re-update.
For example i have a flat surface (state A) i adjust its Start time offset so that geometry is in deformed state (state B) but if i reverse it, a ā€˜ghostā€™ collision is still set in the last max state of B.
I am useing your blueprint update collision manully and synthcronise function nopes after the geometry is reformed, any thoughts? (it is weird becasue the ā€˜show wireframeā€™ is working, showiong the collision is updateing, i am testing it against simple physical actors!

Best,

Sammy