Download

Putting all materials/texture of a scene in a particular folder

I have 2 scenes sharing alot of common materials and textures.
I want to keep things clean, and I was wondering if there is a way to duplicate all materials and textures of each scene and put them in a seperate folder?

When you try and move folders / assets from one part of the content browser to another, the system will ask ‘copy or move?’ and you can say copy.

I will point out, however, you might need to let go of the ‘neatness’ concept fairly soon.

I moved all my sound effects into one folder hierarchy. Once you have a project of any sort of size, the amount of time taken to do this is approximately the same as the age of the universe. It’s not worth doing…

^ This ^ …

If you have to move lots of assets you may find its actually faster / more reliable to just ‘Migrate’ them to another project. Same goes for deleting assets btw.

From time to time I move assets into their own dedicated folders right below Content. But its stunning how many times that breaks dependent links, even when there are just 4/5 folders (such as Maps / Blueprints / Materials / Textures etc). However, moving folders in the reverse order, one at a time, each time running fix-up redirectors, seems to work - WTF??? But obviously having to do that is more laborious…

Overall, its generally better to forget about how structured the asset folder hierarchy actually is, and just focus instead on structuring the code to be ‘tight’…:wink:

I understand but we’repacking a art project for the marketplace.
We have a day and a night scene and we want to keep thing organized.
Is it at least possible to select all materials used in one particular scene?

You can move them around, for sure, but it will probably take a long time.

I see, but how can I select all materials present in one scene?

How about the “advanced copy” option what does this exactly do?

By scene, I’m assuming you mean level? I think you might get most mileage by making a new project and migrating maps to that project. When you migrate a map, it will take everything necessary with it, including materials.

thanks, will try that