Purchasing Desktop v Workstation / gaming laptop v workstation laptop

My apologies I’m sure this question has been asked a thousand times - basically I’ve been using twinmotion for about 12months - recently upgraded to 2022 can’t run the ray path option due to M1 chip and lack of dedicated graphics card - I’m learning UR5 so I can add quality to my architectural renders etc - I am wanting to invest in my future and am pretty lost with the gaming v pro workstation debate - I’ve been looking at RTX3080 machines and RTXA4000 card machines do I need a minimum of 64gb internal ram and would you also recommend 2TB ssd ? I’m unsure about what to purchase as I don’t want to make same the same mistake as buying a useless M1 Mac wasted 3000 only a few months ago : ( please help

A desktop / workstation is always going to win because of the modularity. You can’t easily replace laptop parts.

As for the spec, as long as you have the crucial components in place, you’ll be ok:

Multicore CPU ( 6 cores upwards )
32MB RAM is fine, but you can go upwards
3000 series GPU is also fine.
As for the drive, SSD certainly. A good combination is 2TB system disk, and 2TB data disk.

The only time you really need an insane amount of power, is when you want to build light without having to drink a lot of coffee. UE5 is angled much more to real time, but it’s up to you.

1 Like