Purchasing a new desktop to develop in unreal engine 4.

Hey, I am currently interested in developing games and short interactive movies and have tried out unity3d for a while before coming across unreal engine 4. I like the general layout and the blueprint programming option for prototypes but I will need a new machine if I am to fully implement this software. I am currently using a 4 year old aspire laptop which will definitely not do. My question is what price range will I be looking at roughly and what kind of specs should I look out for? I am in the €1000 range and will using the software mainly for android developement and experimenting with VR developement.
p.s. I am from Ireland so I will probably buy in person from a store like pcworld.ie, currys, etc… is this a good option?
p.p.s I presume buying a high end laptop to develop on isnt really an option given my budget?

For VR, you’ll want a pretty beefy desktop, probably a GTX 970 with an i5 processor.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/ has an Ireland drop down option, I’d save money and just get a basic functional case with good airflow, reuse a older HDD if you can, and a SSD is up to you. And you may want to consider 16 gigs of ram.

I’d mix and match the Excellent and Outstanding builds, basically do the Excellent with the GTX 970.

My PC has 4 gigs of ram, and is a lenovo ThinkCentre and has proven to be a powerful pc…

If you want to do VR, you really should get a desktop.

Hi, Shane, you should be able to get a good PC for that money. I wouldn’t get stuff from PC World or Currys unless they are RADICALLY different shops from the UK versions! :slight_smile: (They tend to have underpowered PSUs, which limit upgrading, and woeful GPUs).

High end laptops are too expensive for your budget. Also, a desktop is something you can upgrade gradually, so you don’t keep having to buy a whole new PC when you need something more powerful.

Have you considered a self build?

Thanks for all the help guys, I’m gonna build my own desktop, it seems like the best way to spend my cash and it will be fun too! Cheers.

It was very nerve-wracking, but very satisfying, when I built my first PC. Good luck! :slight_smile:

Let us know if you need any help with picking the parts. :cool:

I am considering a case, the cm stormtrooper v corsair 730t. The corsair is a modern design while the stormtrooper has been around since 2011 which is pretty dated. The stormtrooper does have a fan controller though and I’m not sure if I’m going to need that feature?