Download

Pulling data feeds into Unreal

Hello,

Is it possible to pull data from sources such as twitter, instagram, RSS feeds, or polls like polleverywhere.com and feed that data into Unreal?

I am evaluating using Unreal for future projects and would need to be able to feed data in realtime from these sources and more.

For example, showing a twitter response to a question posed by another twitter user. This would then be shown on a display at an arena or stadium. I realize this is fairly open-ended, but I am still determining what/how Unreal can be incorporated into our work.

There’s not built in support for those things I don’t think. But given there’s a javascript plugin available, I doubt you’d have any issues getting data for it. But it’d take some development work to do that. Alternatively I’m sure you could incorporate a bunch of libraries to do the same thing (libcurl for instance).

Best bet is probably to use the VaRest plugin. https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?13509-Plugin-Http-s-REST-blueprintable-JSON-and-Parse-REST-API-manager-at-once-%28VaRest%29

Then just use twitters (for example) rest api to post/get the information you want. And this should be usable towards all services that has a api for it :slight_smile:

Here is documentation for twitters rest api: https://dev.twitter.com/rest/public

Awesome, thank you for the information! This will really help me in my research.

No problem, glad that I could help :slight_smile:

Hey, I’m sorry to revive an old thread, I’m looking at doing something similar myself, and I was wondering if you had any success with this project and whether you would be able to have a quick chat about it? George

Hey CupMcCakers, I wasn’t able to make a lot of progress on this since being thrown onto another project but if I remember correctly the VaRest plugin was a good start. It has come a long way since I was using it and is available on the Unreal Marketplace (free). Good luck!

Ah, thanks for the pointer dude!