Proper use of BSP brushes?

So I was messing around and built a large mansion out of BSPs onto my landscape, and noticed that there was a significant performance drop whenever I looked at the mansion.

I assumed I had built inefficiently, but upon further internet research I’m starting to find that BSPs are not handled well by the engine and instead they’re just used to “outline” future geometry.

What’s the proper use? It looks like I should be using Static meshes? Can the editor convert BSPs into something more efficient? My current project is dependent on architecture, and I’d like to build my own without buying things from the asset store as much as possible.

-normally you should build your object as meshes -> so in a 3d program
-you can convert BSP brushes to meshes -> click on the brush - in the details panel under geometry you have to click on the little arrow - create static mesh
-just learn how to use a 3d program, then you dont have to buy stuff from asset stores :slight_smile:

Or how about implementing some basic 3d program features in UEd, so people can make their models there where also all the other assets are already. then you dont have to buy/learn an separate 3d programm and dont have the pain with export/import problems.
Epic would not even have to develop such simple 3 d features, there are a lot of free or buyable 3d engines out there.
Autodesk will not love this, but the community will love Epic for this.

Epic is currently developing geometry tool 2.0 -> probably there we will see some great improvements. :slight_smile:

But in general you will never get around learning a 3d program, because they are crucial for high quality assets

Or how about implementing some basic 3d program features in UEd, so people can make their models there where also all the other assets are already. then you dont have to buy/learn an separate 3d programm and dont have the pain with export/import problems.
Epic would not even have to develop such simple 3 d features, there are a lot of free or buyable 3d engines out there.
Autodesk will not love this, but the community will love Epic for this.
[/QUOTE]

You don’t use UE4 to create textures… Why is it different? You want them to implement photoshop functions into UE4 too?

Its pretty much standard to make a simple BSP mesh in UE4, export it as a 3d model, then create a detailed model in a dedicated 3d modeller.

Pardon the potentially dumb questions but:

Did the developer of this game: ?v=MobkADgFLHk likely make that entire house in a third party program and not in the unreal engine itself?

It could be that they used a combination between meshes and bsp brushes -> but the complex geometry was surely made with a 3d program :slight_smile:

But they would have converted any brushes they used to static meshes? So BSP brushes are basically for laying out a shell or a framework before all ultimately being replaced by meshes?

Again, forgive me. I’ve made levels for games like counter-strike where you literally build everything except really detailed assets with brushes. This is all new to me.

I guess most of them. I usually leave only floor and ceiling elements as brushes.
But TheBritain is right. You yould dive into some modeling learning. I also use 3dsmax. Couldnt get warm with maya either. (Dont klike blender)
And you cant make Blueprints based opn brushes either…

So I have Blender and have used it to create numerous things including a game that I wrote in Panda3d, but I have not looked into what the best method or format for exporting the models would be. Any pointers? I could benefit from doing a lot of the work there and then just importing it. I created some static meshes from brushes but found issues with getting their physics right and making them mobile. For example, I have a robot character that is partly made from existing static meshes and partly from shapes I made using brushes. The problem is that the robot parts I made this way do not respond the same way as the other parts. Steep learning curve, not a lot of ideas of how to solve this. So I am open to any advice anyone might have.

Export your mesh as a fbx file + the textures as png or tga :slight_smile:
Skeletal Meshes: ?v=Ayp1lof0RJU
Meshes: ?v=JR7CAHxGBcY