Proper Shoreline Material

Hey, can I see your distance based displacement node?

sure

So, after looking further into it, It’s somewhat what I want, if there’s a way to make it less dependant on the camera angle, and just have the waves tip off the side like they do here, I’d love to know. Also, getting them to break on the shore is another thing, how do I go about that? I want them to become nearly flat on the shore, and the wash back into the sea.

500221944992627f33d121bff7665855e8abd77f.jpeg

What I’d like to do is have the waves relative to distance from the shore, as they go over the shore, they flatten and wash back out to sea, just like in this video. [video]UE4 Water / SandBeach WIP 05 - YouTube

when will it be available?

? I can upload what I have but my intention was only to upload when we have something that achieves a result similar to that vid, if you understand my meaning.

Please don’t let this die, I still haven’t solved anything… If we can get this done in parts. Part 1. Figure out how to spawn waves only near the shore. Part 2. figure out how to spawn the wash on the shore after the wave collides.

Bump. Still no solution here, water rendering is going to look very bad until we figure out proper shore motion on a shallow beach.

Would have been nice of him to explain his shader, yes, waited a long time too. But there is currently something on the marketplace right now that could help you out: Water Materials in Materials - UE Marketplace

Maybe that’s what you need, at least we can learn from that a bit.

This is be a helpful waves meet shore tutorial also:

There has to be a way to do this all as one mesh, I just purchased that thing, but it only works because they’re seperated meshes, can’t work as one mesh.

Alright bumpity bump bump bump. Let’s pull a NASA and effing do this (trying to build up hype, don’t let it die people, this’s isn’t that hard…)

Alright, my contributions are as follows: terrain must be a landscape material, and a landscape material that generates distance fields nonetheless. Everyone seems to have figured that out already so that’s good.

Masking sine wave generations is easy,just using a node to seperate different gradient levels of the distance field information from the terrain. I.E., 1 or more, no wave, less than one, radial gradient to multiply sine wave displacement by. To begin with, let’s all just focus on height information. Everything else can come later.

The wave’s displacement needs to be influenced by the distance field, essentially increasing displacement based on the distance field data multiplied by a factor that will be tweaked to increase displacement over that surface. The close it gets, the more it’ll displace, and then we can use the height gradeient separation technique mentioned to fade out a sine wave multiplier as it nears the edge.

ONCE AGAIN, JUST A REMINDER, ITS BEEN A YEAR IR TWO, THIS CANNOT DIE.

Alright. Blueprint render to texture is also very important here for the wet sand I think… I don’t know enough about that but I’ll look into it. My post is all about theory so far but I promise we’ll get this out and about in no time.

If anyone can talk to the people who offered help on the original thread and bring them here, that’d be great.

Ok now back to theory. The material will be translucent. All displacement will be on the z axis and it will pass under the terrain rather than somehow extending out to the terrain.

Spacing out themsine waves is just a matter of switching between different sine periods, perhaps as a scalar parameter randomly adjusted by a blueprint within a certain range. Wave positioning left to right along the shore will be a bit tricky, but probably just by creating a mask or large scale cloud noise texture that hides the sine wave multiplier at world position UV’s.

Moving the shore edge left to right like waves usually do (curve as they are drawn back into the sea) will probably be a matter of using that last part of the gradient nearest to the shore and writing special height things in there. Specifically along the lines of maybe using a blueprint with pre-animated points to manipulate height by world position fed into a 3-vector color parameter in the mat… this part is actually quite tricky but clearly not top priority. Also, this particular idea is based around a gradient from deep to shore. Doing this radially willl be a struggle and likely impossible at a similairly quality, unless somebody is really good at that. We could actually probably just attempt to move the sine wave up the sine wave along the gradient up the shore, but I’m not quite sure about how sine waves are translated to be completely often… we’ll see. Hopefully we can all upvote and bump this back to fruition, I’ll start work when I get home.

Good luck, let’s science the **** outta this :slight_smile:

And umm, triplanar or rather second-iteration displacement would be fantastic. Like a world-aligned 3D texture that defines displacement values in a location, is hpgenerated based on the sine wave position, and multiplies displacement value along a basic gradient generated from all points where it should be displace like the apex of the waves and the bottoms, and will be displaced around normals generated from initial displacement, therefore making the wave arch over… cool, likely impossible. Never heard of iterative tessellated displacement but theory nonetheless

so I haven’t looked back here in awhile because I assumed no one was interested in it, not sure I fully understand what you’re talking about here, but if you think it’s possible then start work asap. and do let us know of your findings.

Any luck, anyone?

Seen this? WOUTER WEYNANTS

This portfolio is locked.

But is it a project example, or a lot of different math equations that no one can really make anything of?

I can’t believe there isn’t more interest in this area given the amount of immersion properly formulated shore waves can bring to a game / pipeline.

Please spread the word of this thread to people you know who are interested in this kind of stuff.

Related topic How to get GDC 2017 Unreal Real styled Ocean Beach/Waves? - Content Creation - Unreal Engine Forums

There are many ways to do what you want, with displacement or wpo, using flowmaps or not.

But usually water is complex feature and needs many time to implement and to experiment with lightning, reflections, foam, caustics and so on…

The estimation of this like 2-4 weeks of work, for me.

If you not familiar with materials, so you should start to learn it.
Understand how to mask areas, how to interpolate textures/values by this masks, how to make cycles for incoming/outcoming waves and so on.

And I think no one will do this for you. Sorry.

How waves behaves near the shore? Can it be implemented with some mathematical function?
Usually wave looks like sine function. Near the shore it should start to fade, so what about fading sine?

Did you tried it?