Projects crash after a few seconds of being open

I just got a new ASUS laptop for work and I’m trying to use UE4 on it. As soon as I open a project, it crashes. I’ve updated the NVidia driver, I seem to have all of the other requirements met, not sure where to look next for a solution.

Hello Draconyc,

Could you post the dxdiag information or the model number for the laptop so that I can take a look at the specifications? What OS are you using?

When the crash occurs, do you get a Crash Reporter window? If so, what is the callstack that it gives you? This may be able to point to what the cause is.

The Laptop is an ASUS Model N551J running Win 8.1 with a Geforce 845M video card.
The link to the Stack Trace is this: link text

Thank you for that information, Draconyc.

From looking at the callstack, I can confirm that this is a graphics card and/or driver failure. To be specific, this is the line I’m referring to:

Fatal error: [File:D:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.13+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 176]
Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0006 - 'HUNG')

This message means that the driver has crashed for some reason, which in this case is likely due to the card not being able to handle the load. Our recommended specifications for using the engine are a GTX 470 which is quite a bit more powerful than the 845M and 850M (I was only able to find examples of laptops with 850M cards when looking up the model you mentioned.) Unfortunately I do not believe the editor will be able to run reliably on this hardware setup.